Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

two mystery items, from aircraft?

Article about: Its not an astrodome off of a Lancaster as they didnt have fittings on them they were installed into a mounting ring on the fuselage.

ILH
    ?

Default two mystery items, from aircraft?

Hi,
    These two items have been kicking about for a few years now, but nobody knows, for certain, what they are....

1)a clamp down perspex dome approx 2ft diam. Found in a scrapyard near where they used to have the (experimental?) high altitude Wellington Bombers.

2) "aircraft" door, made from aluminium with some wood on the inside of the window aperture.
    I have checked with the Flitzer car club and they say it is definately not Flitzer or any other microcar!

Geusses welcome since we don't know where to look next.
    tanks,
    Jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture two mystery items, from aircraft?   two mystery items, from aircraft?  

Default Re: two mystery items, from aircraft?

Your perspex thingy looks like the astro dome off a Lancaster.

Cheers

Steve T

andy gee
    ?

The door could be off a P-39 Aircobra?

Hi Jim,

My guess is that the astrodome is off a mobile runway caravan(remember the one on the lid of the Airfix Lanc kit, engine on fire, from the '70s!) My reason for this is that it has only six fixing points, nowhere near enough for an aircraft that will fly at many thousands of feet. Some aircraft astrodomes have dozens of holes, often in two rings, around the lip of the 'dome. This one does not even have a lip, so i'm going with the 'van theory! I've seen a Vickers Warwick (Coastal Command version of the Wellington) astrodome, and it has a lip and 14 fixing holes, if i can find the pic i'll post it.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture two mystery items, from aircraft?  
    Last edited by big ned; 06-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

andy gee
    ?

Nope, what was I thinking of ???
    Wrong shape totally! Got me stumped this one?
    Tending to agree with Ned about the vehicle astrodome, but the 'door' aaagghh

?

You have a tantalising shed sir. The door looks similar to a Beech Staggerwing/traveller but the trailing window frame should be more sloped.

Reg
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Jim,

My guess is that the astrodome is off a mobile runway caravan(remember the one on the lid of the Airfix Lanc kit, engine on fire, from the '70s!) My reason for this is that it has only six fixing points, nowhere near enough for an aircraft that will fly at many thousands of feet. Some aircraft astrodomes have dozens of holes, often in two rings, around the lip of the 'dome. This one does not even have a lip, so i'm going with the 'van theory! I've seen a Vickers Warwick (Coastal Command version of the Wellington) astrodome, and it has a lip and 14 fixing holes, if i can find the pic i'll post it.

Regards, Ned.

Ned dude!

Is that model the one next to the ww2 hanger at Cosford by any chance?

Reg

ILH
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    My guess is that the astrodome is off a mobile runway caravan(remember the one on the lid of the Airfix Lanc kit, engine on fire, from the '70s!) My reason for this is that it has only six fixing points, nowhere near enough for an aircraft that will fly at many thousands of feet.
    Hi Ned,

I think that's a very good suggestion- I thought the fixing's were too weak as well- now to find one and get a good look.... thanks

Hi Ian, thanks for the beech suggestion, will look into it.

Jim.

Ok, the mystery door/hatch. Is one side of the door currogated? It looks very much like the pilots side door of a Junkers F.13. I saw a pic of one with the door opened and thought it looked very similar.

If the door hasn't been Id'd yet, have you tried the smaller Liaison type aircraft both US and others , it could be on eof those types , or a small civil aircraft type .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast