Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Westland Lynx control stick

Article about: A recent lockdown pick up... a control stick from Westland Lynx AH9A serial number ZG884. Built in 1990, this particular aircraft served with 669 Squadron (9 Regt) AAC. I've not been able to

Default Westland Lynx control stick

A recent lockdown pick up... a control stick from Westland Lynx AH9A serial number ZG884. Built in 1990, this particular aircraft served with 669 Squadron (9 Regt) AAC. I've not been able to trace its earlier history, but it was photographed on Salisbury Plain in 2003 while training for Op Herrick. Records show that it served in Iraq (Op Telic) with 669 Squadron in 2009, and it took part in the farewell flypast at AAC Dishforth on May 12th 2016. Shortly afterwards it was scrapped. The Lynx still holds the world speed record which was set on August 11th 1986, when a Westland Lynx demo aircraft flown by pilot Trevor Eggington and co-pilot Dere J Clews set a new record 249.09 mph.

The stick was complete when I got it, but not really suitable for display. Since taking the pictures I have cut it down to about two inches below the grip and mounted it on a wooden base. The stick came with all paperwork linking it to ZG884. Photographs are of helicopter ZG884. picture credits as noted on images. Click on to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Westland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stickWestland Lynx control stick

Yep that was one hell of bird! If I remember correctly it was fairly unique at the start of its' career in being able to roll and loop.

The Soviets tried to beat the Lynx record with a stripped down Mil Mi24 (Hind) flown by the smallest female crew they could muster but they failed

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very nice mate
    Cheers Rick

.....only one more bit to get.....albeit quite a big bit!:-)

Nicely presented mate - thank you.