Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Westland P-12

Article about: It first flew 7/27/41. It was meant for strafing the beaches in case of an attempted German landing. The landing never happened so the plane just sort of fizzled out I guess. Different looki

Default Westland P-12

It first flew 7/27/41. It was meant for strafing the beaches in case of an attempted German landing. The landing never happened so the plane just sort of fizzled out I guess. Different looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Westland P-12  

ace
    ?

Default Re: Westland P-12

now that is the weirdest looking plane ive ever seen

?

Although I've heard of this aircraft, I had not seen a photo of it...

Strange looking beast - Looks like someone has mated a Lysander with a Whitley!

?

Some sort of rear end Saturday night tragedy?

The claim was that it flew and performed very well. Being that the invasion was off they had other things to deal with.

I do believe the designer was totally WASTED when he drew this up !!

You can see him now.....1am one morning, much the worse for wear, ringing up his boss.......

'Oy ! I've hadsh thish brilliantntnt idea for a plane. It'll be like totally the best fing ever.....(sounds of someone dropping the phone then very loud snoring)

Most likely!

From the appearance, it would seem that it would have had a fairly tight turning radius.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi Guys,

The P12 was knownas the'Wendover' or 'Tandem wing' due to it's French designed 'De Lanne' rear wing, it's not a tail! The aircraft performed well, but was never used with a real Boulton-Paul turret, just a wooden mock-up.

Designed in 1940, she was retained by Westlands for most of the war for various testing duties, including work on the Westland Welkin high altitude fighter (another failure), before being s.o.c. and scrapped in late 1944.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.