Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

What do you believe is the most aesthetically pleasing military aircraft made.

Article about: Back to the very beginning where it all really got started the humble "Royal Aircraft Factory Se5A..............

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    The one's I worked on!!!!!Attachment 614538Attachment 614539Attachment 614540

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Nice to see the Sky Hawk We had them on our RAN carriers (when we had them!!!!)

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I was trying not to post a second but this one is in nasty B17 killer
    You got that right!! It was a 20mm cannon equipped FW 190 that shot down the B17 my Uncle was on.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    You got that right!! It was a 20mm cannon equipped FW 190 that shot down the B17 my Uncle was on.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Very pesky aeroplane it shot down a B17 that fell on my Mum's church (North Amsterdam) and nearly killed her, 48 others didn't fare so well!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 12-22-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: changed text

?

Very Nasty plane as stated!! It took down 6 out of 7 B17's of the 545th BS on their way to Schweinfurt 13 April 1944. On my Uncle's(Tailgunner) plane it Killed the Copilot,Top turret gunner, Radioman,and the Ballturret gunner in one run..
    Glad to hear your Mum made it out other wise we would not be chatting!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Yak-23

Ive been to see this particular museum many times and I keep walking back to see this particular tub.

I realize, most would find it ugly and not pleasing, but I really like the 23 for some reason.

Im half kidding, as there are so many beautiful aircraft. Hard to pick just one favourite, so picked the odd one out.

Tomorrow Ill prefer another airframe.

I like the Yak though. Maybe because its quirky and different.

The Yak-23 was of the same period as the MIG-15, so the Yak became a niche plane.

The Yak operated with a copy of the Rolls-Royce Derwent V turbojet engine, produced as the Klimov RD-500.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you believe is the most aesthetically pleasing military aircraft made.  

Wouldn't be to many who have worked on a Kifr I would think. Nice one Phil.
    Aggressor Squadron ?

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Wouldn't be to many who have worked on a Kifr I would think. Nice one Phil.
    Aggressor Squadron ?
    In 1986 The US Navy contracted with the IMI to leased the Kfir. There were 3 sites who had them for the Adversary program(TOP GUN).We had 13 at our site on Marine Corps Air Station Yuma . It was a C1 Kifr model with a F4 (GE-J79) engine. It was given the Navy designation of F-21. It was the fastest single engine jet fighter in the US inventory Until the F16N model was released. The Israelis came to Yuma and trained us on the systems. I was an Avionics tech and worked on the Radars ,Radios, IFF and Navigational equipment. We worked on the A/C and also on the back shop test benches. It was easy for me because most of the avionics they used was from the A4 skyhawk I had worked on. The Radar was their's and was an excellent track and shoot type with look down capabilities
    The Marine Adversary program is used to help new USAF/Navy/Marine Corps fighter pilots to experience aerial warfare. We would deploy to your area or they would come to Yuma to Play(Dog Fight) at our ranges. Our pilots flew soviet tactics to help the US pilots understand how the enemy flew. Our saying was "Have MIG's Will Travel"
    Here is a pic of one of my shirts name tag.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614590[/ATTACH
    We had the Kfir for 3 years and now they have the F5 along with some Swiss F5's

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you believe is the most aesthetically pleasing military aircraft made.  

Nice mate, super cool.
    She's a bits-a for sure. Bit Mirage bit Skyhawk bit Israeli.
    As you would know Phil the Israeli's put both the above mentioned airframes to good use so a hybrid of the two is possibly a credit this small countries Aerospace industry. Bit like SAAB in Sweden hey.
    Cheers mate
    Dave

A seriously tough call.

The Spitfire in all it's configurations I think is a thing of beauty, but I also like the Bf-109 in all it's configurations.

However...I have narrowed it down to two:

The Albatros D.Va and

the Sopwith Triplane.

I can't narrow it any further. Both, (like most WW1 planes) had a very short life span in terms of being the top of the totem-pole.

Cheers
    Tim

?

My Israeli boss had told me that France would not sell them the mirage, BUT Mr. Dassault being of jewish decent gave them the plans. Which lead to the Birth of the Kfir.
    Just a tid bit of aviation history you don't normally hear!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast