Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What Plane Is This?

Article about: Anybody seen this one before?

?

Default What Plane Is This?

Anybody seen this one before?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What Plane Is This?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Default Re: What Plane Is This?

I Think its the imagination of the Artist to me it looks like a hybrid 109E crossed with a KI84

Studly

I have not seen one like this I also would like to know. Maybe a poor painting. Tail and glass & cowling alone look strange to me........ERIC

?

This looks like the same one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What Plane Is This?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Hmmm Interesting

Reg
    ?

I would have said fantasy painting or zero-109 hybrid.....until I saw Zwerges pic...prototype radial engined 109???????

Cheers
    Reg

its a bf-109x. experimental version of the 109.

Similar to "Bf 109 V-21" the "Bf 109 X" was an experimental plane, to test the installation of the "BMW 801" twin radial engine. As experimental plane was used a "Bf 109 F", which got the mark "D-ITXP". For the installation of the big engine some changeings were necessary. So the canopy and the cross section of the fuselage were increased, the wingspan was reduced from 9,92 m to 9,33 m. Also the wing tips were angulary, like them of "Bf 109 E".
    At September, 2´nd 1940, this plane started for the first flight. Until end of 1941 some more test flights were made. The test pilots made the experience, that the handling for nosediving was better than wthat with the in-line engine. But the BMW engine had some problems and lost very much oil.
    After the Focke-Wulf "Fw 190" entered duty with the "BMW 801 A" engine the project "Bf 109 X" was cancelled. The plane was laid up at beginning of 1942.

?

Yep,that sure looks like it,good job spotting it.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE