Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

worthing heinkel 111p relic help ?

Article about: Hi guys im new to this site but trying to find out about a relic iv found from a heinkel 111p that force landed in a field in worthing it has a very interesting history with lots of details

?

and if it did try to land wheels down as reports say then you can clearly see from photo that that didnt really go to plan and it looks as if the wheels must have been ripped off in the impact

?

opps my bad just been reading up about the crash and it seems the wheels still up at the time but im still sure its part of this aircraft as it was found less then 30m from where the plane ended up in the direction from witch it would of made contact with the ground . at first i did also think it was a wheel part but the more i look at it there are signs of burning - smoke damage on the inside of this part and also in some more photos that you can see on the net you can see the engines have been smashed off

?

sorry it did land wheels up iv just done some more reading up but i think its part of engine and not wheel as it has clear signs of burning . it was found apox 40m from where the plane finished up in the direction it would of made contact with the ground so im 90% sure its a piece of this aircraft

Interesting points. After looking at online pictures of Daimler-Benz DB 601 engines the part you found - might/could - be from a supercharger, its the only circular flanged shape that seems similar on that engine model. If the supercharger came apart at high power because of some catastrophic damage its fragments would look like what you found. Would explain the scraped/melted/burnt appearance.

Chris......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2