Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.

Article about: by Scout Excellent. Really liked the pic of the Saunders Roe SR A1. Not a plane you see every day!!! Monty with a belt around his smock. Couldnt be bothered to zip it, lazy git!! ; - ) Hi Sc

Default Re: WW2 AIRCRAFT IN COLOUR-Many unseen before photo's.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Excellent.

Really liked the pic of the Saunders Roe SR A1. Not a plane you see every day!!!

Monty with a belt around his smock. Couldnt be bothered to zip it, lazy git!! ; - )
    Hi Scout,

You may be interested to know that the Beryl engine from this aircraft went on to power Donald Campbell's ill fated 'Bluebird' that was destroyed killing him during the attempt on the World Water Speed Record on Coniston Water in 1967.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Amazing info! I didnt know that! You are a cornucopia of militaria knowledge, Ned
    I understand, that they had only a few spares after they quit making the Beryl.
    I have seen the movie of Campbell/Bluebird crash and while the record attempt was a milestone, it wasnt nice to watch. Have also read about the fascinating person and the record attempts.
    I saw a moving programme with his daughter (IIRC) telling about the crash.

Had to post this pic, as its such an odd duck and as Im a sucker for planes of which there is only one left!

EDIT: This website states that the Beryl was at one point replaced
    - In 1966 Bluebird was heavily modified and the Beryl engine was replaced by a Bristol Siddeley Orpheus jet-engine of 4500 lbs thrust

Link:
    Bluebird K7

Interesting. Will have to read more about this and check more sources to verify.

Last edited by Scout; 05-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.

ian
    ?

wonderfull thank you for showing
    the pictures of the sterling bombers were poiniant for me
    i had forgoten how high they were
    in the early 60s when i was just a pup i remember in woburn abby ,,rows and rows of sterlings and halifax and lancasters all in semi brocken state
    my dad told me after the war there were hundreds of all sorts of bombers at woburn and they all got brocken up for scrap
    i remember a spitfire on its belly and a sterling feusalarge left for the kids to play on
    bit by bit it all went away ,,then of course the safary park opend
    the fuselarge of the sterling and the on the ground spit were the last to go
    no i lie the last thing to go was an old helicopter
    there are no sterlings left now but i remember at least 10 at woburn
    i was about 6 i think
    just a pup
    but thanks for the memories
    cheers ian

?

One word for those Ned ----BRILLIANT, ive never seen so many period colour shots of some of the most rarest aircraft there were, i especially like the squat ones with tracks flying at ground level lol

Don't thank me chaps, it's the Dutch fella who went to the trouble to gather and present these superb images that should be thanked, they are the work of a true enthusiast that's for sure.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Amazing info! I didnt know that! You are a cornucopia of militaria knowledge, Ned
    I understand, that they had only a few spares after they quit making the Beryl.
    I have seen the movie of Campbell/Bluebird crash and while the record attempt was a milestone, it wasnt nice to watch. Have also read about the fascinating person and the record attempts.
    I saw a moving programme with his daughter (IIRC) telling about the crash.

Had to post this pic, as its such an odd duck and as Im a sucker for planes of which there is only one left!

EDIT: This website states that the Beryl was at one point replaced
    - In 1966 Bluebird was heavily modified and the Beryl engine was replaced by a Bristol Siddeley Orpheus jet-engine of 4500 lbs thrust

Link:
    Bluebird K7

Interesting. Will have to read more about this and check more sources to verify.

No need Scout you are correct. The Beryl engine from the Saunders-Roe prototype jet flying boat was replaced due to lack of spares and the fact that the Orpheus could be fitted with little modification to the hull and with a great deal more thrust than that of the intermediate Beryl engine.

Regards, Ned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2