Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 german aircraft propeller

Article about: by Datrus I think it's possible that a number of planes shared propellers? There must for sure be some plane spotters here on forum Regards, Lars The Hamilton variable-pitch propeller would

Default Re: WW2 german aircraft propeller

If you take into account the hub i reckon we're looking for an aircraft with a prop diameter of 3.70m-3.80m.

?

Here is another picture. from the buttom of the hub.
    WW2 german aircraft propeller

?

Anyone got a idea what a propeller like this is worth, as it stands (not knowing what type it is) ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    If you take into account the hub i reckon we're looking for an aircraft with a prop diameter of 3.70m-3.80m.
    Liklely not, your reasoning is a bit flawed. These blades do not butt up against one another in the hub, they are spaced at 33 degrees and the diameter for this size prop would come very close to 3.4 meters, not larger as you conjecture. The measurement tip to tip in a "Y" formation will always be shorter than a combination of the two legs in a direct line. Make sense?

If you use the length of the blade in question as the radius (1.78m) the diameter will be 3.56m, if you then add the diameter of the propeller hub where the prop butts against it let's say 20 or 30 cm you would have a prop diameter of 3.76m or 3.86 m, The Stuka has a prop diameter of 3.40m including the hub so a single Stuka prop blade would be less than 1.78 m.WW2 german aircraft propeller

?

So here are the new pictures, including some new stamps and measurements.

Measurements :
    Length : 176,5 cm
    Wide : 38 cm

Hub: buttom diameter : 16,2 cm
    Hub: top diameter : 18 cm
    Hub length: 16,5 cm

Markings on hub:
    Buttom: 9-41211.15
    W-nr. hgd 72879/3

Side: 96100
    X8924

At the propeller side :

Kennzeichen
    nicht entfernen

9-41211.15
    satz-nr. Hgd 72879/3

Weight: 29 kgs

(im sorry if pictures will require some load)
    WW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propeller

Quote by WRanG View Post
    So here are the new pictures, including some new stamps and measurements.

Measurements :
    Length : 176,5 cm
    Wide : 38 cm

Hub: buttom diameter : 16,2 cm
    Hub: top diameter : 18 cm
    Hub length: 16,5 cm

Markings on hub:
    Buttom: 9-41211.15
    W-nr. hgd 72879/3

Side: 96100
    X8924

At the propeller side :

Kennzeichen
    nicht entfernen

9-41211.15
    satz-nr. Hgd 72879/3

Weight: 29 kgs

(im sorry if pictures will require some load)
    WW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propellerWW2 german aircraft propeller
    Thanks for the extra info. I can confirm that this blade is from a Junkers Ju-188 High Performance Medium Bomber.

The number 941211.15 identifies it as coming specifically from the Ju-188 A1 type that was powered by the Jumo 213A engine(s).The other 'A' series models (A2, A3 and A4 had their own respective prop serial numbers being, in order, 941211.16, 941211.17 and 941211.18. After the initial 'A' production series of aircraft using the Jumo 213A engines, the more powerful BMW 801 G-2 engines were fitted under the designation Ju-188 E series.

There were slightly different prop spec. types used on all the 188 series, but Gunny Hartmann is correct in stating the airscrew diameter as being in the 3.6-3.7m range, well done that man!

Total Ju-188 production ran to just over 1230 aircraft, so this is a fairly rare prop blade, especially when you consider that it was only fitted to the initial A1 series bomber. Below is a couple of pics of the 188 A1 that used this type of prop blades.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 german aircraft propeller   WW2 german aircraft propeller  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned you really know your stuff

Well done Ned.
    Where did you find the info re the identifcation numbers if you don't mind me asking.I searched up and down last week to locate it to no avail.
    Well done again mate,top job.
    Cheers
    Dave

Kudos to Ned!.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast