Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI plane?

Article about: and a other one! If you have any info, I love to hear it. All I know is; the soldier next to the plane is Belgian (probably Flemish!) and it says "well landed" at the back... cheer

Default WWI plane?

and a other one!
    If you have any info, I love to hear it.
    All I know is; the soldier next to the plane is Belgian (probably Flemish!) and it says "well landed" at the back...
    cheers
    |<ris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI plane?   WWI plane?  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Re: WWI plane?

hi Kris,this must be post ww1.possible 1930s,been dearmed no front weapons rear only,you can see the mounts.maybe Ned can tell you the model.

Kris: I think it's a Bristol Fairy F.2 Fighter. First flown 9 September 1916 and saw service until 1927. Dwight
    WWI plane?

It's not a Bristol fighter, they are huge - look at your picture and compare. It is a weird design and strikes me as more of a civil type, and that is small airplane with an odd flap design. Just because the guy in front is in a uniform does not mean it is a military plane necessarily. That being said it looks late 1920's, there were so many small runs of airplanes by small makers without more detail I think it is really hard to say.

Asterpierous: You're right on most counts, and you might be right on all counts. I'm not at all certain about it being a Bristol F.2 fighter, but the small enine forward of a very forward pilot's cockpit was a Bristol F.2 design feature. And the presence of tubular steel "V" wing support struts over the fuselage with wood outboard struts matches the Bristol F.2. I erred by including the Fairy bit, that was a mindless wandering. And the Belgians did fly the F.2. The problem we have with making a positive ID is that we can't see enough of the airplane to make a really positive comparison with other types. But to me, the front of that airplane is definitely a Bristol. But, I was wrong once and I never got over it. Totally lost my self-esteem. Dwight

Hi Dwight, for perspective this is roughly the same view, notice the very bigger size and construction differences, square fuselage etc. The brisfit has an inline engine the one in question is a small radial.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI plane?  

Someone on a other forum sujested a Sopwith 1½ Strutter...(?)

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Someone on a other forum sujested a Sopwith 1½ Strutter...(?)
    Give that man a ceegar! That is the correct answer, here's one in Belgian colours in a museum over there.

Sopwith 1 Strutter

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I'll do!
    Thanks guy's.
    |<

cheers
    |<ris