Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine SS Visor Cap

Article about: Hello folks. Never thought I'd be posting one of these for authentication! I've habitually avoided SS items since I first started collecting, and for good reason. This area of collecting is

I agree with you entirely, and it's for the reasons you've stated that I've zeroed in on this one. It wasn't a desk jockey's cap. It was worn, and worn frequently. That has much more appeal to me than a cap that spent its wartime life gathering dust and cobwebs in an office.

I like it, and if fortune smiles in my favor, I'll be able to buy it come July.

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS Visor Cap
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

It is worn but would display nicely, and with the price of cleaner examples I can understand your choice.
    We all can't afford mint items and have to make do with worn examples, but they are just as original as the mint stuff.
    Good luck in all your collecting.

Quote by CBH View Post
    It is worn but would display nicely, and with the price of cleaner examples I can understand your choice.
    We all can't afford mint items and have to make do with worn examples, but they are just as original as the mint stuff.
    Good luck in all your collecting.
    As long as we’re happy with the items we buy, that’s all that matters. I think a worn example like this one works better on display than something that’s in mint condition, and I do have some display ideas for it. I only hope it’s still available come July!

Regards, B.B.

?

This cap is nice because it is stamped inside the sweatband for at least 2 different Units of the SS Deutschland and no it is not an Allgemeine SS cap. This caps are for the black Service tunic worn by all branches of the SS/SD....but in this case you can clearly put this one to the SS-Verfügungtruppe / SS Deutschland.

?

Ss1Allgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor Cap

This only makes the cap more appealing to me. The dealer does mention that it is marked to SS units, but did not specify which ones. Thank you for the corrections!

B.B.

?

I agree with you whole-heartedly on the ‘honest wear and tear’ point, Brodie...
    However, damage is a different thing altogether, especially when it comes to a dressy item.

True, moths were certainly active at the time, but (personally) I think this has gone a little further than one might encounter ‘in service’ during the period. On a mannequin, this might look rather out of place, but viewed as a historical piece in its own right, it is a different matter entirely.

All of this is just my opinion, of course, and I fully understand your decision making process regarding the cost vs. condition issue. I have plenty of damaged/field-repaired items that I know will always be toward the ‘lower end of the high end’, but budget is a very real part of our hobby.
    Ultimately, if you like it, and it speaks to you, then it’s right.
    All of this stuff needs to be preserved.

All the best and I hope it’s still around when you’re ready for it.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I agree with you whole-heartedly on the ‘honest wear and tear’ point, Brodie...
    However, damage is a different thing altogether, especially when it comes to a dressy item.

True, moths were certainly active at the time, but (personally) I think this has gone a little further than one might encounter ‘in service’ during the period. On a mannequin, this might look rather out of place, but viewed as a historical piece in its own right, it is a different matter entirely.

All of this is just my opinion, of course, and I fully understand your decision making process regarding the cost vs. condition issue. I have plenty of damaged/field-repaired items that I know will always be toward the ‘lower end of the high end’, but budget is a very real part of our hobby.
    Ultimately, if you like it, and it speaks to you, then it’s right.
    All of this stuff needs to be preserved.

All the best and I hope it’s still around when you’re ready for it.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Some of the damage is down to poor storage, undoubtedly. The light cracking to the visor, and the wear on the metal insignia. But it's not a visor that spent its life in a hatbox in a wardrobe, and that appeals to me. It would be going into its own display case, rather than on a mannequin (I'm thinking of repurposing one of those perspex cases used for displaying motorcycle helmets), with the idea of eventually adding a couple of other pieces. A dagger or a cuff title, for example.

There's a very real possibility that I'll change my mind by the time of the show, but I've managed to commit to saving so far, and if nothing takes me by surprise financially between now and then I'll be able to reach my target. If it's there when I attend, all well and good. If not, I'll be standing in a field full of militaria with a few grand to spend!

Regards, B.B.

So, I've been giving it some thought, and it turns out I may be able to do a little better than the visor already posted!

The dealer has several black SS caps, including the one that started this thread. Below is another. I think everyone here will agree that this one looks much better, with only a single moth nip to the piping above the eagle, and some minor issues with the liner. It has been stitched in place, either during the period or in more recent years, and some of the stitching has deteriorated. I think these minor issues can be overlooked, though. Especially as the cap looks much better externally, especially the insignia.

The only issue (as ever with militaria!) is the price tag. It's listed at £4250, which is only £400 more than the previous visor. However, it means I have a bigger deficit to fill. I'd have to find £550 between now and July. Might be a good excuse to finally sell some items out of the collection!

Opinions, folks?

Allgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor Cap

Regards, B.B.

?

Nice.
    I think you’ll be happier with this one, in the long run, but it is (of course), your decision to make.

The other one has those lovely unit stamps, but as far as condition goes, this is still miles ahead for a (relatively) small increase in cost. It appears to have a bit of honest wear to it, too!
    I don’t envy your dilemma...

All the best,
    Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast