Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another cap for i.d. Please help if you can.

Article about: Here's another one guys. Any help identifying this cap would be much appreciated. The date stamped in the lid is 1944. Also, is there a classifieds section here where I could get some sense

Default Another cap for i.d. Please help if you can.

Here's another one guys. Any help identifying this cap would be much appreciated. The date stamped in the lid is 1944.
    Also, is there a classifieds section here where I could get some sense of general value? I have several items to sort through and would like to know how my collection is coming along once I subtract any discovered fakes. Thanks again for all of your knowledge and generous help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.   Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.  

Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.   Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.  

Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.   Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another cap for i.d. Please help if you can.

Original Enlisted mans/NCO's cap. An issue example, piped for Panzer Grenadiers.

We have sales section at the bottom of the forum main page.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks again, Ade, for all of you help and knowledge!

?

This is an interesting one. Is the centre band black or very dark green wool? The green of the piping looks suspicious, might have been dyed and that 1944 date mark is very stange indeed. These Tellerform caps were from a decade earlier. Are there any markings on the back of the leather sweatband?
    Last edited by BenVK; 04-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Hi Benvk,
    Thanks for your input. The center band is a dark green. I've posted a few more pictures that I took with flash on to, hopefully, show color better. I don't see any marks on the inside of the leather sweatband, just the reverse of the decorative-tooling line that runs along the perimeter of the sweatband.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.   Another cap for i.d.  Please help if you can.  

?

Thanks for the answers. All that remains is to clarify whether the piping is in fact light green or was once white and then re-coloured. If you look deep into the fold where the piping is sewn, you should be able to confirm the original colour. This is important as it does effect the value considerably.
    As for the 1944 date stamp, prehaps the cap was in storage and then re-issued for wear. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the tip. The piping checks out fine all the way around. Color is very crisp deep into the folds with no signs of over-dye. I sure am glad I found this site. Lots of good information!

?

Hmmm, I still don't believe this would be a pzgrenadier piped cap because the lime green colour for those regiments was only adopted in 1942 and this is not a 1942 design schrimmutze no matter what the date stamp says. Some reference material declare that this colour would denote Motorcycle units before 42 and if that's true, you have a seriously rare cap.