Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Black SS Visor

Article about: by jft Dear Friedrich, Bob and all the other members of this forum who reacted. Thank you for all the information and photos you posted. For more than 35 years I thought I own a precious vis

Default Re: Black SS Visor

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The lining, visor, base cap material , sweatband and piping installation are all incorrect. Examine the many examples posted just on this thread. This is a very poor fake. Of course the cap badges are also fake.
    Thank you, Bob, I guess I failed to be as explicit as I should have been. The medium is not the message often in my case.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS Visor
    P
    Many

Yet another in many threads where the effort does not reap much reward. No word of thanks, confused comments by others prone to misinterpretation. I wonder why I even try?

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Yet another in many threads where the effort does not reap much reward. No word of thanks, confused comments by others prone to misinterpretation. I wonder why I even try?
    Perhaps because of a hopeful notion that you, unlike Sisyphus, might actually place the stone securely on top of the hill in the end, my friend?

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Quote by KSH View Post
    Perhaps because of a hopeful notion that you, unlike Sisyphus, might actually place the stone securely on top of the hill in the end, my friend?

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    Thank you, Kenneth. I appreciate it.

FB I try to read all of your posts on Black SS items (In the rare chance I may someday find one) so I can learn but It is still hard for me but thanks for all of the material to study. On the fake in the first photo the rivet holding the rope or piping on the visor is black instead of silver like your photos is that a red flag? Thanks -Ben

rcs
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    FB, your posts are always worth reading, SS stuff all looked the same to me when i first joined the site (to find out a bit about my grandfathers kit), still does a bit if I'm honest, but the history of the SS and the skill of the people putting this stuff together is something i hadn't considered before you pointed it out to me, thanks for that.

jft
    ?

Hello Friedrich, thank you for your quick response. The reason I answer just now is because I work at day and I open my computer not earlier than after I have dinner. I´m sorry you are a bit disapointed. That was not my intention.

I always thought the visor was real. I have this visor for more than fourty years. When I was a young boy my parents visited twice a year friends in southern Germany. Then I was verry interessed in WW2. After every visit my parents bought me a present. The visor is one of those presents. They also bought me a HJ knife, a Luftwaffe dagger, a SS belt, a Stahlhelm a.s.o.

What I remember of the early seventies is that all WW2 militaria was easy to buy and not expensive. With that knowhow I thought that making fakes in that time was not verry lucratieve, so it didn´t exist, I thought. The visor must therefore be real, in my opinion.

After seeing your pictures I still don´t know how the members of this forum who reacted can see that the visor is fake. I´m no expert like you and the others are. I will apreciate if you can tell me which (big) differences there are between an orginal and fake.

Once again. Sorry for my late response.

With regards, jft

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    FB I try to read all of your posts on Black SS items (In the rare chance I may someday find one) so I can learn but It is still hard for me but thanks for all of the material to study. On the fake in the first photo the rivet holding the rope or piping on the visor is black instead of silver like your photos is that a red flag? Thanks -Ben
    The norm is what I enclose, but I have surely seen the black button in some cases wherein an enlisted cap has been made into an officer's cap. The norm, for what it is worth, is a small pebbled button, usually sewn on, and sometimes with the RZM marks, at least in the caps of make in the region of 1937 until 1939 or so.
    Thanks. I am too easily frustrated.Black SS VisorBlack SS Visor

Quote by jft View Post
    Hello Friedrich, thank you for your quick response. The reason I answer just now is because I work at day and I open my computer not earlier than after I have dinner. I´m sorry you are a bit disapointed. That was not my intention.

I always thought the visor was real. I have this visor for more than fourty years. When I was a young boy my parents visited twice a year friends in southern Germany. Then I was verry interessed in WW2. After every visit my parents bought me a present. The visor is one of those presents. They also bought me a HJ knife, a Luftwaffe dagger, a SS belt, a Stahlhelm a.s.o.

What I remember of the early seventies is that all WW2 militaria was easy to buy and not expensive. With that knowhow I thought that making fakes in that time was not verry lucratieve, so it didn´t exist, I thought. The visor must therefore be real, in my opinion.

After seeing your pictures I still don´t know how the members of this forum who reacted can see that the visor is fake. I´m no expert like you and the others are. I will apreciate if you can tell me which (big) differences there are between an orginal and fake.

Once again. Sorry for my late response.

With regards, jft
    thanks for your response. There were many fakes of such caps in the early 1970s and in West Germany especially. When I have time I will explain these caps in some detail, but I am absorbed with the real physical life of salary and family at the moment. Thank you for the note.

Quote by rcs View Post
    FB, your posts are always worth reading, SS stuff all looked the same to me when i first joined the site (to find out a bit about my grandfathers kit), still does a bit if I'm honest, but the history of the SS and the skill of the people putting this stuff together is something i hadn't considered before you pointed it out to me, thanks for that.
    Thank you. I will undertake some tutorial at some point, though I had thought the mass of my images and the associated text were sufficient. However, knowledge unfolds here differently. Of course, the point is simple: I have lived with these things for more than four decades, that is, they are on the shelf behind me, and I look at them all the time....with a magnifying glass, but I do not take off the cap insignia. At least not recently. My best to you all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast