Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone recommend good books on cloth headgear?

Article about: I'm wanting to learn more about this field of collecting and though studying here can be very good research, I would like to have some good detailed descriptions of how to spot both authenti

?

Default Can anyone recommend good books on cloth headgear?

I'm wanting to learn more about this field of collecting and though studying here can be very good research, I would like to have some good detailed descriptions of how to spot both authentic and fakes so that I can make good decisions on the spot when at shows and flea markets etc. I have posted a couple caps here for authentication and have received good info that saved me a lot of heart ache and money, but I'm not the type to depend on others when I can help it. I'm sure the experts here can recommend some good dependable resources for sale on the net or at book stores. I am interested in cloth headgear as well as steel helmets and insignia (metal and cloth). Price guides aren't as important as authentication as I realize that prices are static and really are usually dictated by the desire of the buyer. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone recommend good books on cloth headgear?
    P
    Many

Hello,
    I do own this book. I found it quite interesting
    A good book should not show you the differences between original stuff and fakes as it should not contain fakes within its pages...it will show you how an original item is supposed to be made...
    Thanks

Can anyone recommend good books on cloth headgear?
    Last edited by JPhilip; 12-04-2016 at 06:15 PM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thank you very much. I will look for this book. Your advice is noted so far as fakes are concerned. I guess I said it that way because most of the threads here in the authentication forum are regarding fakes. I have even went back as far as I can looking at threads asking for help authenticating and pllayed a sort of game trying to learn. I read the persons plea and then try and determine (for myself) whether the cap is real before reading the replies. I have gotten better but still get tripped up a lot on the better made fakes. I want to be able to see it as quickly as you guys. Thanks again for the reply.

The Saris books represent the foundation of any serious attempt to collect this regalia.
    The Wilkins book has certain merit, but also promotes what I would describe as historical warping of the subject. I.e. the silly over emphasis on Lubstein,
    and the fact that the research in the book is not really professional.
    There is no simple way to do this, especially now, when everyone criticizes what everyone else does, and when not all of the experts,
    themselves, have pure motives.
    The best books on militaria are from Militaria Verlag in Vienna, which pivot on the Bavarian Army Museum. They set the absolute standard in terms
    of material, presentation, etc.
    The Schiffer books are deficient in comparison.
    I have collected this regalia since 1961 and I also write books for a living, but not about Nazi hats.
    Also, learn German.

Paul Sack's book contains many fine images. The Norwegian picture book the name of which escapes me, is also of merit.
    None of this is especially easy or straightforward. The more you try to reduce its complexity, the more you seek a short cut, the more you will fail in the end.
    This fact is unpleasant, but it is just a fact.

- - ------- - -

Our own Mr. Spandau has also written a nice book on peaked caps, which has great merit. Its level of ambition, unlike, say, the Wilkins book, is modest and sober.

?

The Wilkins book , which does indeed focus a bit much on Erel/Lubstein, is defintely worth having, IMHO. The Sris books are a must for any serious collector of headgear, and the recent "Heer & SS Visor Caps & Uniforms" by Meland & Elvan ( the Norwegian book), contains many fine images to study.
    I also have a slim volume, "German Visor Caps of the Second World War" by Touratier and Charbonneau, that contains many fine images of visor caps that I believe came from Hermann Historica auctions. It may perhaps contain a few "iffy" caps , but most look good to me.
    While it's a Schiffer translation of an original French work, it has much worthwhilw information for a small price.
    I would also strongly second the opinion on the oustanding publications of Verlag Militaria, of which I own a number. They are the " gold standard", but, so far at least, go no further than the Reichswehr era.
    As for helmets, I would strongly recommend " Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945" by Ken Niewiarowicz.

BobS

Color pictures of authentic visor caps hardly exhaust the topic as concerns what a collector must know in order effectively to grapple with this complexity.

I learned how to collect this regalia long before there existed any reference books on peaked caps, save that of Bob Coleman and Stan Bozich, and I had a cap
    collection before the internet websites crammed themselves into our benighted lives.

- - ------- - -

Can anyone recommend good books on cloth headgear?One book from which never cease to profit is this one:

?

Thank you both for your replies. I don't neccessarily seek to reduce it to an easy formula, though I can see why my question might come across that way. I also understand how nothing worth knowing or doing is easy. To the contrary, I am (by bature) a person who goes overboard with things. I love reading and learning and don't see it as an obstacle or road block. The journey is the best part. My son is learning Russian right now and we've discussed buying Rosetta stone for him to continue his Russian studies. German was the next language he wants to learn and I have already thought about trying to learn it myself. At least learn enough to read it. At my age, I don't know if I am capable of becoming fluent, but I don't mind trying. I had a feeling that the best info would be in German for obvious reasons.

I will research these authors and titles and try to get my hands on them. Again, I appreciate everyone's input and their time for compiling these lists for me. I assure you, I am not trying to take the fast route to instant gratification. Where I live (South Eastern US), these items are not easy to find and when I do come across them the pulse defintiely quickens. It's this adrenaline rush that I am trying to over come more so than the obvious lack of knowledge. I'm sure most folks can still remember how that could be. You WANT the item to be real and that desire clouds judgement. Combine that with lack of experience and real knowledge and it's a perfect storm for heart break. Thanks again guys.