Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2

Article about: Hello nice people Any thoughts on this Pith helmet? Does it look OK or are there problems? I am rather ignorant on this kinda stuff therefore i come to the experts !!! Prost !!! Dan

Default German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2

Hello nice people

Any thoughts on this Pith helmet?
    Does it look OK or are there problems?

I am rather ignorant on this kinda stuff therefore i come to the experts !!!

Prost !!!
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2   German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2  

German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2   German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2  

German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2   German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Afrikakorps Pith Helmet WW2
    P
    Many

The helmet is not German, I think it may be an Italian sun helmet, and probably of the period, but when the badges were added is anyone's guess....

(I am not up to speed on the Italian tropical stuff, so maybe some one else can assist on this one).

Cheers

Bob

MAP
    ?

Similar to my Italian pith.

You can compare to mine here. Top vent on the exterior and interior are the same. Side vents are different.

WWII Italian Pith Helmet. Does anyone know what the + stands for?

as Bob said however...when those shields were added is anyone's guess but it was not unheard of to use other participants equipment.

Regards

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Germans utilized equipment from many other nations, which included pith helmets. I'd be inclined to think the shields were added post war, as the national tri-color is on the wrong side of the helmet. Just my 2 cents.

warbuff well spotted

M1928 second model, these were used by the Germans with added German insignia. Some were used officially, and as such have a particular inkstamp saying that they belonged to whichever German forces used them. Without one of the three stamps, it is not really possible to tell when the shields were added.

I notice it has a circular inkstamp with an eagle and Swaz but that is not the one I want to see, but next to it is another stamp, which might be of assistance in this matter. If you can get a better picture of all of that stamp, then I can perhaps help, but from what I can see I would doubt this is a period adoption by the germans and the circular inkstamp is typical of something to see that is used to pimp items.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.