Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German tropical pith... with no shields?

Article about: Hello, I have what appears to be a period third reich tropical helmet, in slightly salty shape. It's the only one I've seen with three loops on the exterior, and no sign of ever having the m

Default German tropical pith... with no shields?

Hello, I have what appears to be a period third reich tropical helmet, in slightly salty shape. It's the only one I've seen with three loops on the exterior, and no sign of ever having the metal shields/badges on the sides of the helmet. Any help with this? I'm certain it is authentic, just not sure what it was used for. Looks similar to the Kriegsmarine 1940 model, I think.

The helmet is cork construction, covered in tan cloth. No chinstrap, no shields. Leather sweatband, green underside, tan "liner." There is a faint round ink stamp inside the helmet, but not enough to read.

Any knowledge is appreciated, trying to learn something every day. (:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German tropical pith... with no shields?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German tropical pith... with no shields?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German tropical pith... with no shields?

French made would be my guess from this picture and probably nothing to do with the Germans. Any chance you can show the underside and the round stamp?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    French made would be my guess from this picture and probably nothing to do with the Germans. Any chance you can show the underside and the round stamp?
    I Love the knowledge here! =)

Indeed, Jerry is the pith helmet expert.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Here's the underside and a close up of (what's left of) the stamp. I think it's odd that it would be French though, the man I got it from had piles of only german helmets, just a few being piths though...

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/booge...ith_under1.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/booge...ith_under2.jpg

Though I can't read the ink stamp, the shape of it looks like those seen on French pith helmets and other items, whilst the S.G.D.G. on the brass vent in the dome is something I associate with French items, as it often means;

SGDG = Sans Garantie du Gouvernement

The Germans used lots of French items, including sun helmets and though many would have had acceptance marks and also had shields added, that was not always the case.
    Regards,

Jerry

Oh well, thank you for helping though! Glad to know this.

By the way, any idea what this would be worth?

Sorry, not really, but unless it has some known history, probably not a lot, 15-30 euros, maybe a bit more on a good day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Okay then. Well, thank you though!