Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help in Black SS Cap authentication

Article about: Hi all, I was just wondering if somebody could take a look at the attached black 'SS' cap and to hear their thoughts as to their authenticity. Knowing how many fakes are around I'm more than

Wow - thanks very much everyone, it's certainly been really informative! I will be sure to come here and keep an eye on threads in future if I have any further questions, you've all been very helpful so thanks again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help in Black SS Cap authentication
    P
    Many

Quote by Caroline Dennard View Post
    Wow - thanks very much everyone, it's certainly been really informative! I will be sure to come here and keep an eye on threads in future if I have any further questions, you've all been very helpful so thanks again.
    Thanks for your thanks. As I wrote, Mr. Wim Saris has given us several books on Nazi caps from Bender Press which are an easy way to learn about all of this, and the material on this website is a very colorful adjunct to his books. There is the Beaver Shea book on SS headgear from Schiffer Press, as well. These two books cost far less than a fake cap being sold as an authentic one.

Also, since you apparently do this kind of thing professionally, you might help Adrian Stevenson and his colleagues out with a small contribution to this site since they bear the costs to provide this public good.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Help in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHere is an early (ca. 1934) SS cap with the four "grommets." I am seized by a special joy at the chance to type this word, which is nearly as joyous as "crimped" and, the real topper....."prongs!!"

Help in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationMr. Saris can explain the process whereby the cap cover on these caps elevated in the years from 1932 until, say, 1939 or so.

As the dictatorship consolidated, the masters of the regime changed the shape of the cap.

The RZM markings also changed over time, so that the careful collector will look for the shape and make of cap associated with the proper markings. That is, the markings of the year 1934 differ from
    that of 1938 and so forth.

The markings we have analyzed to a fare thee well in hundreds of arcane posts in lurid detail.

The rhombus in Ms. Dennard's fake cap is a lyrical misinterpretation of these requirements, which we can also analyze if you are interested.

Help in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationThese are officer's caps and show this elevation of the crown in design in the years from 1932 until about 1939 or later.

The black uniform was seldom worn once the war began, but it was retained and used in various less prominent ways.

Finally, the cap badges on Ms. Dennard's cap are fake, too, which is a whole other cosmos of inquiry.

I enclosed here as many images of real badges on real caps as is practical.

Help in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationHelp in Black SS Cap authenticationA contrast of the fantasy tag/sweat rhombus and the real tag and or tags....

also, these caps until about 1937 or so came in three types: a privately made with a maker's logo, which was or was not prohibited in 1935. The tag under the sweat band
    did appear at the latest in 1934.

the second type: the special model with the a silk or satin lining with the golden runics and a black tag and so forth: die Sonderanfertigung

the third type: with a normal black lining and no marks save the tag under the sweat band.

The signature on the tag is of a type found either on the Mercedes Benz car or on nice wine bottles, but is not typical of these caps.

It is a function of the collector obsession in the recent past with one cap maker versus the other, of whom Wolfgang Schulze is not among the names we cite.

We have dissected all the tags and stamps here.

SS RZM Tags

Help in Black SS Cap authenticationis this Wolfgang Schulze?

It is GA Hoffmann, who was the head of the trade association of cap makers. This article is typical of the Nazi racial hatred associated especially
    with the uniform trade, an aspect that gets little mention by too many, actually.

The issue of judgment and responsibility arose elsewhere, and if you read this article carefully, you can see some pretty unpleasant truths here.

Mr. Mint, please add this cap to your cabinet of horrors on the topic of black SS officer caps. That is, to say: off to pile of fakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2