Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed

Article about: Hello all, this cap arrived yesterday in the mail. I bought it at a fair price from a reputable dealer. In my haste to fill a void in my collection I overlooked the fact that the cap has no

?

Default Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed

Hello all, this cap arrived yesterday in the mail. I bought it at a fair price from a reputable dealer. In my haste to fill a void in my collection I overlooked the fact that the cap has no air vent grommets. Is this common in these early style caps ? the cap is made of a field green army wool, the soutache is properly sewn through the seam of the lower rim, and the eagle looks authentic and is neatly applied to the peak. No markimgs other than the size. Would this be considered an M34 or M38 cap ? Thanks in advance for any information. Cheers, Al.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed   Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed  

Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed   Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed  

Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed   Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed  

Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed
    P
    Many

Default Re: Infantry Feldmutze Opinions Needed

Hi Al, firstly the easy part; it is an M34. The M38 was the Officer's version of the cap Collectors & dealers frequently mis-describe these, getting them mixed up.

Now on the to the cap itself. I firmly believe it is a modern reproduction. There is a rash of these going around at the moment and I have seen several.

The eagle is original. But original "new old stock" eagles do turn up on the roll. Fakers love to add them to their products. Janke used to do this 20 years ago, knowing that people tend to pay a lot of attention to the insignia.

The wool is typical new production. It is simply too good a quality and has a fine soft finish to it, not seen on even pre war caps.

The lack of air vent is also another key to it's age. The fakers seem to have problems with making decent copies of these. Missing them off entirely is a new trend.

If it were mine, I would return it.

It might be worth, for curiosities sake, running a blacklight over it to see if the white parts glow?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you Ade. I do appreciate the insight. As I said i was quick to buy because of a need to fill a gap in my collection. As soon as it arrived and I examined it, I had sincere doubts. Thank you so much. Cheers, Al.

Hi Al, glad you agree. I was hoping that you had your suspicions. Horrible to have to tell someone that a new purchase is bad. Commit the feel colour and texture of that wool to memory.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade, it is amazing how you begin to get a feel for these things. As soon as it arrived I got that funny feeling that I had made a bad choice. There is no substitute for actually holding the item in your hands and examining it carefully. Most of my purchases are made online but luckily I only buy from qualified dealers who accept returns without difficulty once I have examined them. Thanks again, Al.

?

I was wondering if anyone knows if this type of cap was ever produced without air vents or is this exclusive to reproductions ? I've also read references made on this forum to some caps being made from greatcoat material. Would that be exclusive to reproductions also or were there any period caps made from greatcoat wool. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Al.

Hi Al, caps made from greatcoat quality wool are fakes.

The German Army was very specific when it came to contracts for making items, everything was made exactly to the specs laid down. The air vent was not missed off.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you Ade. That was a quick turn around on my question. So would it be reasonable to assume that a knowledgable dealer would have picked up on this obvious discrepancy. Just asking. Thanks, Al.

Hi Al, well I would have said so. But dealers are often not that knowledgable in all that they actually deal in....

Cheers, Ade.

sorry to see this al,but glad you can return it

regards ewan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast