Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Just sold on Ebay

Article about: This "Luftwaffe schirmmütze" just sold out of the UK for the princely/pricey sum of US\\$785 ( that's over \\$1000 Aussie ) Even a rube like me who knows nought about caps can see that

Ha ha.. great post to wake up to in " down under land" Ned!!!

Thanks all, it was the sort of idiot that has more money and less sense than me. ( easy to believe the former and hard to believe the latter )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just sold on Ebay
    P
    Many

I really want to go out on a limb here and say the chinstrap might be original, but my intuition says they wouldn't put an original chinstrap on that. It at least resembles what it should be if not. Looks like on Stonemint's ebay garbage visors thread they've been faking chinstraps in large quantities too. At least the rest of it looks like a costume store hat that even I could know was bad.

An officer's cap with enlisted/NCO wreath and cockade would be the first clue. The color, the weave of the cloth, the cheesy sweat band all point to some other cap being sold off as Third Reich. An abomination. NH

Gents, it happens all the time on Ebay--people who are just too lazy to do basic research.

Hat is a BRD poseur. No LW organisation utilized black velvet.
    Chincords are probably DDR (reverse-twist).

The pathetic thing is that this is the 2nd time that hat has been sold in the past month....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Ah, postwar chincords. Not fakes, but not period. Why didn't I think of that? *doh* I noticed the reverse twist, but convinced myself that was either reproduction error, or a variant. Well, it's a learning process. Thanks for a nudge in the right direction Stonemint!

Here is the original listing from back in February:

WW2 German Original Luftwaffe Hat | eBay

Guys, 98% of the visors/visor insignia/visor parts on Ebay are either outright fakes, Frankensteins, repros, DDR/BRD, or at the very least (if original) have been screwed with in some way.
    The reason this occurs is simply because there are so many ignorant people in this hobby, who never let logic get in the way of spending their hard-earned cash. To paraphrase PT Barnum, there literally is a sucker buying on Ebay every second.

Unless you are bidding on something you specialize in, you will get burned on Ebay.....

?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Guys, 98% of the visors/visor insignia/visor parts on Ebay are either outright fakes, Frankensteins, repros, DDR/BRD, or at the very least (if original) have been screwed with in some way.
    The reason this occurs is simply because there are so many ignorant people in this hobby, who never let logic get in the way of spending their hard-earned cash. To paraphrase PT Barnum, there literally is a sucker buying on Ebay every second.

Unless you are bidding on something you specialize in, you will get burned on Ebay.....
    Words to collect by !
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks for the clarification Stonemint.
    Can you move it to the " Ebay garbage visors" thread please?

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I saw this visor on ebay,and knew immediately it was bogus.The first indicator is the east german chin cord-twist to the left.It is something I learned on this forum from a lot of research and study.
    Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast