Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine officers hat with cat badge

Article about: Got this today, a Kriegsmarine officers hat with the cat emblem U-48. Is in pretty good condition. Let me know your thoughts/opinions etc.

Default Need help with Kriegsmarine officers hat with cat badge

Got this today, a Kriegsmarine officers hat with the cat emblem U-48. Is in pretty good condition. Let me know your thoughts/opinions etc.

Last edited by Gooner90; 09-23-2015 at 05:22 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine officers hat with cat badge
    P
    Many

Not sure about the cap, but that cat insignia looks like the ones on ebay for 10 quid!...

Gooner--
    Sorry to break the news, but this is a common repro that has been artificially aged.
    See this thread for other examples:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cap-a...visors-435996/
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

These are genuine white-tops:

KM Jr-Grade White-top Visors

Ok that's what this was put up for so its no problem. I'd like to know a little more as looking at the garbage ebay ones I still don't see many comparisons as they all have blank button parts etc whereas mine doesn't. If you could give some pointers as to why my one is fake then that would be greatly appreciated and won't be offended and also what sort of value it is as then I can decide if its worth trying to get my money back or just leave it.

?

One of the immediate obvious give-aways is the thin wire cord which runs along the outer edge of the scalloped part of the peak embroidery (between the scalloped part and the leather peak binding) on a genuine German manufactured period KM junior officer cap isn't present. (See attached photo) Instead the incorrect style embroidery has been mostly removed, a part of the "artificial ageing" probably to conceal this .

The sweatband certainly isn't an Erel style, and the chinstrap looks like the very thick type with coarse unfinished reverse side usually found on modern repros.
    Original chinstraps ( certainly those on a high quality Erel cap) would have a finished smooth tan coloured reverse side. Late war straps can be found including some made from compressed fibre which have an unfinished reverse but even these are much thinner and generally have a very highly polished "patent leather" appearance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine officers hat with cat badge  

Thanks red cap I appreciate that I do as it means I can provide this to back up my reasoning for a refund. I have also learnt a bit more as well for future, anything else anyone has to add it would be greatly appreciated.

there should not be a gap between the braid and peak edge.

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    there should not be a gap between the braid and peak edge.
    Not quite true. A slight gap is perfectly acceptable and can be seen on many originals, but it should be minimal, not more than 2-3mm and not the exaggerated gap found on fakes and converted Bundesmarine caps.

This thread deals with another type of fake, the Bundesmarine visor that has been converted to TR, and will give you some additional points to consider:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cap-a...marine-512483/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast