Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe late war??? Year?

Article about: Hi, so I picked up a couple of Luftwaffe items from a local picker in Germany...including papers, flight maps, photos, e.t.c.. Most significant though is this German Luftwaffe (officer's?) v

Stone mint is the expert on these, but I am leaning towards post war also

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe late war??? Year?
    P
    Many

I would suggest a 'pass' on this one....

Bob

Hi, I do respect your opinions...yet may I ask what raises red flags...in your opinion? The cap badge & eagle are original late war manufactured 2nd type cap eagle insignia...& the peak of the cap is as seen in late war examples made out of pressed cardboard with a laquerette finish, moreover the rim is made out of oilcloth material which is ...in general a good sign...as for the lining...the eagle cannot be removed because it's behind the stitching of the lining which is also a key indicator...the only 'weird' thing is that it doesn't have cheesecloth material under the lining
    I also contacted Craig Gottlieb...a respected collector & dealer IMO...he didn't rule it as a fake...but just couldn't tell me who produced this visor (between 1943-44)

To each his own, I am not saying that it is wrong, but it is one that will always have questions, I would be uncomfortable owning it, and would
    rather have one that has all the ticks in the right boxes, but.. the bottom line is, it is your money, you can spend it as you wish, my opinion is
    just that, my humble opinion....

Yes sir...I undoubtedly agree with you. There will always be questions & I understand that owning it may be controversial...I myself would also rather own a fine textbook example...the thing is the person off of whom I already have purchased it doesn't deal in militaria...just cleans out houses in Germany...the hat was found among other Luftwaffe items in Wittlich Germany...
    I just don't want to get a bad reputation among collectors if I ever trade this visor to someone that's why I'm looking for confirmation on authenticity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2