Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????

Article about: This has puzzled me for years. It has the right shape ( and lining I think ) but there is no grommet and the soutache is the "stitched under" style, both of which are NOT associate

Default M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????

This has puzzled me for years. It has the right shape ( and lining I think ) but there is no grommet and the soutache is the "stitched under" style, both of which are NOT associated with regulation issue sidecaps - but are sometimes seen on private purchase caps.

There is a faint '59' and on the opposite side something that begins with 'TRA ........' ( they are faint on the photos but there if you look closely ) and there is evidence of loss of nap and minor mothing that tells me it has age to it.

Also the roundel is the prewar type and someone has inked the white soutache at one time to make it red ( I have seen this before on genuine cloth headgear ) but it has faded out a lot.

So, before I dismiss it again with a HUGE ? and pack it away can anyone offer any thoughts ( good, bad or ugly??? )

Thanks, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????   M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????  

M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????   M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????  

M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????   M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????
    P
    Many

I'll give this a nudge back up the list to see if I get a comment today .......... it mustn't have piqued anyone's interest so far??

Cheers, Dan

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    from what I can see I like it.
    Thanks Harry! I forgot to mention, there is thread residue where the eagle has been removed. Hopefully some more cloth experts will read this and suggest who the 'TRA..........' refers to ( a maker perhaps? )

Cheers, Dan

Not for me sorry

Quote by S.Vestae View Post
    Not for me sorry
    aha ..... can you explain please the features that cause it to be unsuitable for you?

sure ! I dont like wool, soutache, silver piping, all construction...but wait other comments...

Quote by Danmark View Post
    aha ..... can you explain please the features that cause it to be unsuitable for you?
    Guys that adhere to textbook guidelines will, with patience, usually get good caps. Those that set their own parameters for what is acceptable stand a good chance of getting bad stuff. This cap exhibits more "wrongs" than "rights" therefore leaving you to draw a fairly sensible conclusion. Sebastien gave you a pretty good hint.

Thank you both for your expert opinions - but I did know it was NOT textbook .... no contest there - and so, I have always relegated it to the "more wrongs than rights" box. BUT, my question was is it a private purchase cap?? and, if you do not think it is even period made, where might it have come from or been converted from? ( the wear / nap loss / mothing indicate some good age to me and the faded stamps are yet to be deciphered and I wish I knew what the TRA ..... was )

If an outright fake I would have expected some more blatant stamps etc ....... sadly, my photography does not do it justice and I wish I could bottle the musty, smoky smell of the old cloth and send it through the forum to you all.

Dan

Custom tailored sidecaps DO exist ( and break all the established norms ) - this was the thrust of my thread guys.

This particular officers sidecap was discussed on the WAF a few years ago and I understand that some think that I am a bit deluded by wishful thinking on mys one .... but I'm just trying to consider things "outside the box"

There is a great Sticky proving just how the troops in the field did their own thing - https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...e-worn-146333/

I can take rejection if it's a pigs ear then c'est la vie ......
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????   M34 sidecap - NCO private purchase??????  

That is a hard one for me Dan as it could very well be one made in the 70's from old wartime wool or a cut up overcoat I had my share of them and they were good copies with proper linings usually sold in the SS form naturally or that could be a good original private purchase I have one in the Czech cut that is private purchase I think some suggest it was issued. I guess that is why caps are a minefield or at least can be for some of us. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast