Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk

Article about: All comes down to asking price and chance of being original. Personnaly I love to gamble with this stuff, 99% of my collection came from talking a risky but educated guess. Probably not good

?

Default m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk

Hi Guys,
    What do you think of this M43. I think it is ok but would like to be sure!!!

Thanks to All

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk   m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk   m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk
    P
    Many

Default Re: m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk

looks real fresh, besides the moth holes, could be unissued but who knows.

?

Never let moth holes steer you towards thinking an item is original. I did with a Luftwaffe sidecap and it turned out to be a Janke made fake. Items made in the 80's and 90's can have moth holes.

yeah moths dont discriminate new or old wool

?

Moth damage can also be replicated quite well by shaving the cloth with a razor blade!!! Unfortunately, I don't have hands on this cap. If I could feel it and smell it, I would have a much better idea!!
    Andy

?

Guys, it's a bit concerning to me how you're all going about trying to authentic something like this M43 cap.

Just giving some advice here so don't take it personally.

Go and study as many photos of M43's posted on the internet as you can, original, reproduction and fakes made to decieve. If you know someone that has a collection of originals, even better to hand inspect them. It's very worthwhile to actualy buy a reproduction from one of the re-enactor suppliers to get a feel of what a modern copy feels like. Ade posted a good thread about this recently, check it out.

Lastly, if you don't know what you're talking about yet, better not to guess. The internet has breed a lot of collectors who feel that they have to pass judgement whether they are sure or not. That's wrong and there's no harm in admitting that you simply aren't sure.

For example, with this cap, it shows evidence of being authentic. The insignia is not period sewn to the cap but no big deal. Thousands of M43's survived the war but were stripped. However, the markings on the lining are a concern as they seem to be a makers mark, which was not impossible but very unusual. Then again, this kind of rayon lining is typical of original caps.

In other words, I'm not sure yet and would have to handle it.

?

Hi Ben and thanks for the advice. It would be normal for me to study images available on the Internet and I have done so in this case. I do have an original Luft M43 in my collection and have handled as many as I can find (which is limited in N Ireland). As stated, I think that this cap is ok but was not 100%. I thought the material, stitching and lining was ok but I wasn't happy that all the paint had been removed from the buttons etc. In the end of the day! Cloth headgear is not my main area but I am enjoying learning. I Had already read Ade's thread on the M43 and the Janke fakes scared me to the extent that I thought it better to put this cap to the forum rather than buy a fake. I have learnt a lot more from your advice (which is why we are here) so thanks again!!
    Cheers
    Andy

?

No problem Andy, my concerns were not aimed at you.

When you have time, can you post close up photos of the markings on the interior please? Or even better, can you work out what it says? Also, and this a tough one but look closely at every inch of the lining from different angles and tell me if you see any other very faint markings, numbers etc anything at all really.

Hi Andy, I must agree with Ben's comments. The wool looks good, but the makers mark does give some cause for concern. As said, the insignia is replaced.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Chaps! My problem is that I. Don't have access to this cap and cant give it a good feel!! I would prefer if the lining just had the size stamped onto it.

As it is, I think that I will let it pass, If it hadn't have been for this thread, I would have bought it!!

Cheers All

Andy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast