Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk

Article about: All comes down to asking price and chance of being original. Personnaly I love to gamble with this stuff, 99% of my collection came from talking a risky but educated guess. Probably not good

Default Re: m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk

Hi Ben, I will PM you the link, as I don't wish Andy to loose his potential purchase. The seller, like most, has a mixture of good and bad.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk
    P
    Many

?

Hi Chaps,
    I took a chance on the second M43. I have taken some more closer photos and would welcome your opinions. I hope it is ok but can send it back if it is not. Cloth headgear is a new area for me and although it think It looks, feels and smells ok, there are a couple of areas are causing me concern. Please tell me what ya think.

Thanks

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk   m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk   m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

?

?

Hi Andy, sorry, but now having seen this close up pics I would return it.

I strongly suspect this has been made from a greatcoat or the like. The cloth exhibits wear on the reverse side of the seams and on areas which should have been covered and protected. These should still retain the "knap" or the newer looking fluffy surface to the wool. You can see this on the reverse side of the flap, but you should also see it on the seams. This is a common trick of fakers to use original material, but the wear patterns will be wrong. They will use the outer side of the garment used as a donor which will be worn. But as I say, when you come to do the seams, this wear ends up where it should not be. Some will try and correct this by shaving the material with a razor to make it look even more worn on the correct side.

I know you have not shown it, but out of interest, does the underside of the upper edge of the turn up flap (the curved part on the front of the cap) have a peice of reinforcing bias sewn into it? Some fakers miss this off. But some put it in place.

One of these days I will try and show some caps and an M36 tunic made by a comrade of mine from scratch from damaged original greatcoats. He is a forum member here, but I would not wish him to be abused or given a hard time. I know this is unlikely here as we are all gents. But these were made simply as one off's for himself to wear as a re-enactor. I know many members would be shocked and fooled by these.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade!! You are a gentleman. An old grate coat would account for it looking, feeling and smelling ok. These things really are a minefield. I have spoken to the seller and there are no probs at all about returning it. I will get some close up pictures of the seams on the first hat. At least I know what to look for now!!!!
    Cheers Again
    Andy

?

Ade,
    does this picture answer your question about the reinforced flap?

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m43 Einheitsfeldmutze original or Junk  

?

I agree with Ade. Unfortunately, this is the problem when trying to advise on the limited and small photos that dealers usualy supply.

The cap has no natural wear. It's completely uniform and has no more or less wear in the places like behind the flaps, edges of the folds etc. Absolutely original fabric though which is why this area of collecting is so difficult.

Keep it for a few days, take loads of photos for your archive, get a good feel for it then send it back. The experience will be totaly worth it and you'll know what to look for next time.
    That's how you learn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast