Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medical overseas cap, named, original?

Article about: Hello, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me determining the authenticity of this cap, and if it is original, an approximate market value. Thanks.

Default Medical overseas cap, named, original?

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me determining the authenticity of this cap, and if it is original, an approximate market value.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medical overseas cap, named, original?   Medical overseas cap, named, original?  

Medical overseas cap, named, original?   Medical overseas cap, named, original?  

Medical overseas cap, named, original?   Medical overseas cap, named, original?  

Medical overseas cap, named, original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medical overseas cap, named, original?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Medical overseas cap, named, original?

i like it a lot looks like a good original cap !!

Hi

Possible but I have a couple of questions.....

The date stamp is 1936 by the look of things but officers side caps didn't come in till 1938 ? So it may be an other ranks upgrade as these were introduced from 1934. The piping looks like it has been added later IMO.

Need pictures of the air vents inside please plus the sweatband on the front.

Has a chance, value depends on above. I think its a tailored M34 side cap for medic.

Hope that helps

Tony

?

Looks good to me, in absolute mint condition

Spandau, I have requested the photos that you said you need to see, I hope to be able to post them tomorrow. For the others who said it looks original/good, why do you say this when spandau says officer caps weren't even introduced at the point its dated? Were these officer conversions of M34 side caps a common occurence?

Hi

Lets see the pics when they turn up but looking again it's a nice one.

The officers conversion is a more than possible explanation.

Is the date 1936 or 1938 ?
    cheers

Tony

Date is 1936, and sorry but I am unable to get the photos you requested. As there were no official officer pattern overseas caps like this, it was probably common to make a conversion like this, right?

I like it alot, plenty of charecter and if tony says its good then its good, I cant give you an honest value because I would want to buy it!

Hi

1936 date makes it an other ranks upgrade to officer IMO. Not wrong either. The lago stamps mean it was a govt contract cap for the soldiers, whether a doctor would upgrade or buy his own is the big question ? May be a nco who has passed his doctors exams as they were allowed to wear the officers chin cord on their schirmmütze by regulations so why not upgrade your overseas cap ?

Value is tricky and I don't discuss money on the forum as its bad etiquette...what's it worth to you ? Nice piece of history !

cheers

Tony

Obviously an upgraded enlisted cap-there's no rayon lining, etc in it that you usually would see in an officers cap. Upgrading was, naturally, a common thing, as buying all new kit was a costly thing for most men. It's an excellent original cap, in my opinion, and certainly well worth acquiring. Value? With today's fluctuating prices, it''s quite difficult to say, but certainly over the $1000 mark, if that gives you any idea...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast