Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need opinions on SS visor...

Article about: Hi all. I'd like to get some opinions on this visor. I have yet to add one to my collection and this one has crossed my path for potential purchase. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

or the fakers do not affix the Muetzensteg to the press board band properly. or whatever.

OK, friends, I have given you my view on the matter, which you are free to ignore or to wait for someone to tell you the thing is real, in which case I take no responsibility for the exercise.

Happy hats.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on SS visor...
    P
    Many

Need opinions on SS visor...14 copy.pdfNeed opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...bottom enclosure is the dubious cap. or....contrast the shape of the image above with the target item below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on SS visor...  
    Attached Images Attached Images Need opinions on SS visor... 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-25-2016 at 03:30 AM.

?

Thanks for all the photos FB. You mentioned in Post #10 that the shape (I assume you mean "profile" since you copied the side view) of the cap I posted should look like the example that you show in the photos under the same post. However, in your more recent Post #12 you show a cap the bears a very close (almost exact) resemblance to the profile of the one I posted. This has me confused.

Also, under Post #4 you suggest that all of these caps should have an RZM tag (that's what I'm gathering from your comment anyway). What if the tag has simply been removed? I personally own several political caps where the tags have been removed so this is certainly a possibility. If what you're saying is that the lack of an RZM tag would make it more "suspect", I do agree with you on that point as long as there are other details that are also suspect.

Under your Post #7 and #8 (as well as other photos that you show in other posts) you simply show an RZM stamp on the underside of the bill and leave us to guess what your point is with that photo. I'm assuming you're referring to the RZM stamp itself? What about it? The example I posted shows an RZM stamp as we, albeit in a different font style. But then not all of the photos you posted show the same font style either, so again I'm confused by your point there.

I don't want my points above to come across as combative. I'm simply trying to understand why my eyes are telling me this cap actually has a chance when compared with some of the example photos you posted, yet you're saying it is a fake and haven't really provided any textual details as to why (just photos for the most part). If you're afraid the "fakers" are going to take your information and make the fakes even more realistic, I think all they'd really need to do is go to the SOS or the MAX show and handle a few to gain that knowledge. I'm not sure we're going to give away any more information than they already have. If you feel differently, feel free to PM me. I really want to learn more about these caps, which is one reason why I keep coming back to this forum (to learn).

Thanks for all the photos FB. You mentioned in Post #10 that the shape (I assume you mean "profile" since you copied the side view) of the cap I posted should look like the example that you show in the photos under the same post. However, in your more recent Post #12 you show a cap the bears a very close (almost exact) resemblance to the profile of the one I posted. This has me confused. Your cap is not shaped properly, it is not cut from the cloth right, and the line of the crown is too long...

Also, under Post #4 you suggest that all of these caps should have an RZM tag (that's what I'm gathering from your comment anyway). What if the tag has simply been removed? I personally own several political caps where the tags have been removed so this is certainly a possibility. If what you're saying is that the lack of an RZM tag would make it more "suspect", I do agree with you on that point as long as there are other details that are also suspect. No RZM tag is, of course, possible, but we have also made clear what is real and what is not in an RZM tag...
    and there are many other details with this cap that are suspect.

Under your Post #7 and #8 (as well as other photos that you show in other posts) you simply show an RZM stamp on the underside of the bill and leave us to guess what your point is with that photo. I'm assuming you're referring to the RZM stamp itself? What about it? The example I posted shows an RZM stamp as we, albeit in a different font style. But then not all of the photos you posted show the same font style either, so again I'm confused by your point there.the RZM stamp is not executed correctly or iaw other examples,

I don't want my points above to come across as combative. what you don't say! I'm simply trying to understand why my eyes are telling me this cap actually has a chance when compared with some of the example photos you posted, yet you're saying it is a fakeyes, I am writing that it is likely a fake and I would not buy it and in the last ten years I have seen dozens like it and haven't really provided any textual detailswhat does this phrase mean? as to why (just photos for the most part). If you're afraid the "fakers" are going to take your information and make the fakes even more realistic, I think all they'd really need to do is go to the SOS or the MAX show and handle a few to gain that knowledge. I'm not sure we're going to give away any more information than they already have. Mr. Dyzner, that is your opinion, I know differently from fifteen years experience with these sitesIf you feel differently, feel free to PM me. I really want to learn more about these caps, which is one reason why I keep coming back to this forum (to learn).You may cordially ignore what I write or say or enclose. You are a free man, and I am also free to offer you as much or as little as possible. What I do not have to do is engage in some game about the quality of my expertise. Based on fifty five years of collecting and the ownership of more or less sixty SS caps, my opinion is that your cap is fake. However, I do not have to pass a test by you as to my bona fides.

Finally, the crown piping on this cap is not executed properly, which, together with the nutty shape of the thing, is damning of its authenticity.

Mr. Mint has made a compendium of likely bogus caps. Maybe you will find an examination of these images helpful to you.

Or, send the cap to another authority of your liking and solicit their views.

SS Black-Top EM/NCO Schirmmuetzen

Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...and one little, tiny bit of minutiae, the caps with the very tall crown eventuated on or about 1938/9 at which time, in the main, the chin strap began to be made
    of vulcanfiber or other synthetics, not patent leather. The later caps, i.e. after 1936/7 were cheapened in quality and simplified in face of the rapid growth of the SS and
    the economic strictures of price cutting, mobilization, scarcity in textiles, and other vital raw materials needed for the incipient war effort.

Of late, the fakers have gotten very good with the SS and SA style chin strap with the middle piece, especially in the aging of same.

and on and on.....

Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...and, do examine what I enclose and look very carefully at your images for comparison.

I am sure some subtle, but important differences will emerge.....
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-25-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...Need opinions on SS visor...This cap of mine, by the way, is in the Shea Beaver book on pp. 24-5.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-25-2016 at 03:09 AM.

Our posts as well as such books as the Moran, Hayes and Beaver enabled the fakers to perfect their craft, along with our posts. I have watched the process over
    fifteen and more years and have very mixed feelings about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast