Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap

Article about: I recently purchased this visor and have been doing some digging for information about it with limited success. In my still learning opinion it looks okay. A more experienced collector looke

Default Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap

I recently purchased this visor and have been doing some digging for information about it with limited success. In my still learning opinion it looks okay. A more experienced collector looked at it and said it looked okay too. They said it was "upgraded" to an officers cap. I didn't get a chance to ask why they thought that or how they knew. They also noted the cloth inside the sweatband and suspected that was probably done for better comfort or fit. They weren't sure what the double stamps meant on the sweatband. Time didn't allow for us to talk for more then a few minutes. What I can't figure out is what he meant by "upgraded" and what would have caused them to think that. I can't find anything on the two stamps either. Any opinions/information anyone is able to provide is greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap   Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap  

Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap   Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap  

Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap   Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinions/Information on Officers Visor Cap

I think it's original, an enlisted mans cap upgraded to officer. The wool padding under the sweatband is new to me.

Cheers, Pat

officers caps have silver trimming round them.

I agree. It looks original to me too.
    NCO caps have the color of the waffenfarbe on the piping, like this one. In particular white/cream for infantry.
    Officer's caps have silver piping.
    Since the cap has insignia and chinstrap used on officers caps it means that this cap was made for and worn by an NCO who later got promoted and got upgraded.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

By trimming do you mean Piping Harry?
    Infantry caps didint have silver piping at officer level. Or SS caps. They still kept their white piping. There was silver piping on SS generals caps (which used the same chincords) and Bahnschutz officer visor caps which did have silver piping as well. Also luftwaffe officer caps had silver piping. But not heer.

Cheers, Pat
    Last edited by M18922; 04-26-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Hi and welcome

ok here we go. First the cap is original and was made originally for an enlisted man to wear or NCO. it is a government contract cap i.e. one made by the manufacturer for the government to supply the army. They were all made to a standard format and yours follow this. The material is tricot and the weave gives it the ribbed effect seen here on the crown. the insides are rust coloured cotton as you have on this example, with a rhomboid celluloid in the middle.

The extra material under the sweatband is unusual but not wrong. This example is made by a LAGO or trade association in 1938.LAGO or AGO were groups of small manufacturers who banded together to bid for govt contracts and have the capacity to meet them.

The stamps are very clear and nice to see.

The insignia on your cap is bullion for an officer and the cap cords match. By regulations this cap would not have been given to an officer as they bought their own, hence the upgrade theory i.e. an nco to officer and he didn't buy a cap. NCO's who passed the officer course and were waiting for placement could also wear a silver cord so it could be that explanation as well.

If you look at the thread "don't tell me they wouldn't have worn it" there are lots of non regulation caps insignia on display so this guy may have be a show off and gone for officer grade insignia.

The more simple explanation is that it has been added post war to look better and enhance the value of the cap.

It is sill a very nice infantry cap.

hope that helps

tony

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    I agree. It looks original to me too.
    NCO caps have the color of the waffenfarbe on the piping, like this one. In particular white/cream for infantry.
    Officer's caps have silver piping.
    Since the cap has insignia and chinstrap used on officers caps it means that this cap was made for and worn by an NCO who later got promoted and got upgraded.
    Luftwaffe officer's caps have silver piping & insignia ( gold for generals) , but NOT the Heer. Whether enlisted or officer, the arm of service waffenfarbe piping was worn on their cap. White for infantry, red for artillery, golden yellow for cavalry, etc. Generals, of course, had gold piping on their visor caps.

BobS

Thanks for all the info and opinions!

PL tell right !

It's a nice cap.........
    Regards,

Steve.