Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Opinions needed on Luftwaffe EM/NCO, Division Hermann Göring Schirmmütze

Article about: Hi guys, I will receive this beauty of a cap tomorrow probably and shall post some more detailed photos then. The cap is unmarked. I have gotten this cap from a most trustworthy source and I

KSH
    ?

Default re: Opinions needed on Luftwaffe EM/NCO, Division Hermann Göring Schirmmütze

I can also add that the more I search this cap the more there appears clear signs of wear of some kind. The visor ("peak"?) itself is full of small wear marks of different sorts. The white piping also appears to be "yellowed" by time. This "yellowing" of the piping is perfectly consistent and appears to be natural IMO (based on my own experience with old whitish cotton items). The piping does not in any way appear to be fresh and new as some of the photos might suggest. The more I look at this cap, the more convinced I become. It is my belief that this cap haven't been worn much at all, but that it must have been moved around some during its lifetime. The "sweat-diamond" also has many tiny scratches and marks on it, exactly like the "sweat-diamond" of my Heer cap.

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed on Luftwaffe EM/NCO, Division Hermann Göring Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Opinions needed on Luftwaffe EM/NCO, Division Hermann Göring Schirmmütze

I'm sorry, it just looks too new to me as well. The materials look very synthetic and post war, 70's or 80's to my eyes. Does the band on the visor feel like leather? It's look rather plastic to me in these pictures.

KSH
    ?

Quote by doomtown View Post
    I'm sorry, it just looks too new to me as well. The materials look very synthetic and post war, 70's or 80's to my eyes. Does the band on the visor feel like leather? It's look rather plastic to me in these pictures.
    Are you referring to the edge band of the visor ("peak") itself? If so, I can confirm that this is in fact leather. I can actually see some of the uncolored leather on the underside of this band shining through in some of the stitch-holes. No doubt.

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.

KSH
    ?

And to your assessment of the cloth on this cap as synthetic - I have just compared this cap's outer cloth with the other cap that I have, and the fabrics are essentially the same. As on my dou skin Heer cap, I can see the same identical square weave pattern shining through the dou skin of the cap in question. It may be the flash on my photos that makes the fabric seem synthetic to you. I am the first to admit that my photos are far from perfect.

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-05-2011 at 03:26 PM.

?

Well, all the materials look period to me as does the construction. It's very well made in fact.

I wouldn't choose this cap for my collection however. There is no makers stencil making it impossible to compare with other known examples plus there are no issue stamps linking it to Regiment General Goering or the later HG. The overall excellent condition actualy works against it as most people will always doubt it for that reason alone.

I'm not saying it a fake but I just don't think it's a wise investment. I think you will find it very difficult to sell in the future.

Much better to choose an example like this one:
    HG visor - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

KSH
    ?

Thanks for your reply Ben. I see what you are saying and the discussion here is proof of what you are saying. That people will suspect this cap because of its condition. I'm gonna have to decide whether I am going to keep it or not. I just wish that all of you that have replied here could hold it in your hands and see it first hand. I was also skeptical before it arrived because of the dealer photos and the comments here on them. But it feels period made, looks period made, smells period made. In addition to this I purchased this cap from my regular favorite dealer who is one of the most reputable out there - I didn't simply find it on ebay or ioffer etc. If I choose to return it Ben, it will not be on the basis of authenticity, it will be for the reasons you state above. For me this cap is as original as my Heer medical visor. They match up in every way they can match each other (of course one is Luftwaffe, the other Heer).

- Kenneth

Kenneth, I cannot speak to its authenticity, but it certainly is a looker! Quite frankly I collect for my own enjoyment and if you do not intend reselling later then keep it. Hope it works out for you.
    Tom

Quote by KSH View Post
    But it feels period made, looks period made, smells period made. In addition to this I purchased this cap from my regular favorite dealer who is one of the most reputable out there -

- Kenneth
    Friend if you have almost certain that is period made and not a fake keep it, if it is a good deal you will never know if you dont keep it you can regret it later.
    IF you re a collector more than a dealer keep it. if you can compare it and have that experience from other Caps.
    Better be wrong and have it, than right and dont have it.
    SM

?

Some items will never, ever get the blessing of all who survey them so only one opinion counts at the end of the day, your own!

I agree with Ben. HG visors are not all that rare, and I think you would be better served to get one with a maker's mark and HG stampings.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast