Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Article about: Stonemint: I have purchased this cap from one of the most renowned dealers of German militaria around, a dealer I trust (as much as one can trust a dealer - everyone can make mistakes). It w

?

Default Re: Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

For me, an authentic decent quality extramutzen. Brown velvet stirndruckfrei strip is a nice touch as is the ribbed rayon lining although the pleating isn't the best.. No traces of a makers stencil on the celluloid shield at all?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Default Re: Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Quote by BenVK View Post
    For me, an authentic decent quality extramutzen. Brown velvet stirndruckfrei strip is a nice touch as is the ribbed rayon lining although the pleating isn't the best.. No traces of a makers stencil on the celluloid shield at all?
    With the term "extramützen" you probably mean the level of quality of the cap (standard/extra/luxus)? I have looked very carefully at the celluloid shield in daylight, but I can't make out any traces of a maker's stencil, Ben.

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 06-17-2011 at 09:31 PM.

?

Get yourself a beer or whisky, coffee or whatever and start reading this thread:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...nfabrik-14219/

It's the most enlightening text you will ever read about the German Mutzenindustrie.

I agree with Ben--you got yourself a nice, minty original!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

KSH
    ?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    I agree with Ben--you got yourself a nice, minty original!
    Thank you very much Stonemint This is a private purchase cap right? Would be great to know the maker though, but as I said before no remains of a stencil is visible.

Ben: I shall get started reading that thread tomorrow (too tired right now). Over 50 pages worth of information (!) - thank you for your input and for the link! But just to get me started: Could you please explain to me the concept "extramutzen" if I have got it all wrong?

I also want to thank everyone that has given me their 2 cents on this cap! Medals and decorations is really my thing you see guys, so I need all help I can get in the field of foetid woolens.

- Kenneth

?

In basic terms, any visor hat that wasn't issued to the soldier and was bought from a retailer is an "extramutze" but how the term came about it is a bit more complicated.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    In basic terms, any visor hat that wasn't issued to the soldier and was bought from a retailer is an "extramutze" but how the term came about it is a bit more complicated.
    Aha, so it basically means "private purchase cap" (not literally of course). I understand. Thank you, Ben.

- Kenneth

?

Yes, you were on the right lines but "private purchase" has no meaning in the German sense during the period.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Yes, you were on the right lines but "private purchase" has no meaning in the German sense during the period.
    You are of course correct there. I speak and read German very fluently, so I have no problem understanding that It was just the real meaning of the term when it comes to caps I was unfamiliar with

- Kenneth

Quote by BenVK View Post
    The cap was literally extra in the sense that such an object was in addition (via purchase with the soldier's own funds) to an issued piece, bought on contract by the German Army or Air Force and issued to the simple soldier and airman. Officers and others received a clothing allowance and purchased their uniforms either through the clothing cooperative of the forces or through a tailor. The clothing cooperative was a hedge against debts, which were a common problem for younger and junior grade officers.

Consult the officer hand books of the army and air force for an explanation of the system, as well as this handbook for the Waffen SS Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast