Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

opinions on ss cap needed

Article about: this is my latest purchase , it has been made out of another unknown item, you can clearly see the previous stitching and brighter colour it does not glow anywhere and feels like a sort of c

Default opinions on ss cap needed

this is my latest purchase , it has been made out of another unknown item, you can clearly see the previous stitching and brighter colour it does not glow anywhere and feels like a sort of canvas material with a musty smell . thanks in advanceopinions on ss cap neededopinions on ss cap neededopinions on ss cap neededopinions on ss cap needed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement opinions on ss cap needed
    P
    Many

I may not be correct - will cede this to others with more experience - but it may be something fabricated from Zeltbahn material. Others looking are going to ask for better photos of the grommets. This stuff is often faked which is why I don't collect Waffen SS so there may not be much hope for it being original. NH

hi thanks for reply I purchased it on a whim as I liked the look of it , I am not sure when it was made it could certainly be a fake but it is definitely an old one , but it would be nice to find out if the material is original or not .

I'm not an expert on einheitsfeldmütze made out of old zeltbahn material, but I would suspect this is post 1945. To me the peak looks too broad and sadly a modern copy if worn out in all weathers by a reenactor could look almost as worn as a 70 year old example. Only close examination of the material and actual handling of it to say whether if "feels" right for sure. Difficult to call it on these pictures alone. If it is the real deal then it is valuable. Hopefully someone else will have an example to compare it to.

A documented original. So you are not even close. However...many were field made...but with grommets ? Probably not
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinions on ss cap needed   opinions on ss cap needed  

opinions on ss cap needed   opinions on ss cap needed  

opinions on ss cap needed   opinions on ss cap needed  

I agree. I would say made from a zeltbahn post war. During the war these caps were manufactured and there was really no need to have a private purchase cap made. And as David says the air vent is a giveaway that it's post war.

I thanks for the info , the grommets did concern me but if the material is original I am happy with it , as previously stated if post war which is most likely it is still an early one . the price I paid for it was worth it for the material alone and well worth taking a chance .