Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original or fake: Heer Officers Schirmmutze

Article about: Hi to all, hope you had a good xmas. Have just recently acquired this cap for a song so am a little bit worried if original or not. I hope the photo's have uploaded ok. It came with the ali

This is a sound source, with excellent picture resources.

The Collector's Guild

- - ------- - -

Here is another....

Army Headgear

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original or fake: Heer Officers Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

And another....

Heer (Army) Caps And Headgear

I include these because the images are very good and these are dealers with whom I personally engage.

Your experience can surely differ from mine.

My point here is the sound pictorial material for a beginner.

There are dozens, if not a couple of hundred dealers with real peaked caps, but the full range escapes me.

Surely one can find caps for less money, too.

One of my colleagues only secures such items at little cost from the most poetic and unlikely places, i.e. old peoples' homes, hock shops, out of the way gun shops in the US hinterland and so forth.

Some great caps, now I'm really envious.

Quote by Steven Macquillin View Post
    Some great caps, now I'm really envious.
    Knowledge comes before envy, wanting, and such.

The discipline of knowledge makes the successful collector.

The razzle dazzle of the digital pictures and all the confusion that goes with them leads into a pit, unless you have the presence of mind to organize and analyze the data.

This point is also why, as a very 20th century book heavy old man, I think the digital thing is more than flawed. The apparent truth of the images may not be really sound.

There is a lot to look at in the whole wide world, but there is less to understand, and the heap of images actually gets in the way of knowing and learning as is essential to success.

The Wim Saris books from Bender are where I would begin with all of this, the five or so volumes on III. Reich headwear.

There is also the book by the ex Army officer whose name escapes me, but the Saris books are much better, really. (PS Wilkins....)

There is a thread here on books to read and buy for this subject if you look closely.

We have done all of this many times over.

Happy New Year and happy hats to all near and far.

Original or fake: Heer Officers SchirmmutzeOriginal or fake: Heer Officers SchirmmutzeHere is the German how to make a cap book of the year 1935, the sole copy of which I seem to own, but no one should be satisfied with just one book.

Original or fake: Heer Officers SchirmmutzeWomen and men making caps when this book was published.

a very sound thread with which to begin.

Muetzenfabrik

MAP
    ?

A really good book is Gary Wilkins' The Collectors Guide to Cloth Third Reich Military Headgear. 400 pages of good color photos. Detailed explanation of construction, types, makers, etc. I'm sure there are other good books as well but this one was a great read.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi to all and a very big thank you. The knowledge you all have is of great help to me and collectors like me. We need to listen and try to take on board what you all have to say. It would be a dream come true to get you all in one place and to get to thank you for the help you have given me. Once again a big thanks and have a great New Year.
    Many thanks Steve.

Quote by Steven Macquillin View Post
    Hi to all and a very big thank you. The knowledge you all have is of great help to me and collectors like me. We need to listen and try to take on board what you all have to say. It would be a dream come true to get you all in one place and to get to thank you for the help you have given me. Once again a big thanks and have a great New Year.
    Many thanks Steve.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast