Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?

Article about: Picked this up from a guy who claimed that his friend found it in an attic in Estonia. I am new to the hobby, and so far I've made more than one online purchase blunder. I wish I had joined

Well, thank you all for the input, once again. Thankfully this was an ebay purchase which is in the process of being refunded as I type. It was just short of 200$ inc postage.
    Between a repro aged fallschirmjager para lid and this 'crusher'the past month has been a steep learning curve. But I fell in love with militaria at a young age and now that I'm an adult with an income (and a patient wife) it will take a lot more than this to put me off the hunt.
    I appreciate the point about working with dealers. At least this way I wont go wrong - even if the prices are a bit alarming. Like I said before, I'm headed to a major antique / collectables fair here in the states later this week in search of a good stahlhelm or a smart piece of soft headgear, I'll be sure to make full use of this forum before and during my search.
    Thank's for all the advice. I'm gonna ship this repro junk back to the seller first thing tomorrow, the sight of it makes my eyes bleed and my p*** boil.

All the best,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?
    P
    Many

Thanks. I do not want to suggest that certain dealers are perfect. Far from it. But there is somewhat more structure. There are also some solid collectors who
    merchandise their things on line, on the other site and here.

What you want is very rare and seldom appears, and never at a bargain when it is real.

The piece I enclosed is surely more than USD 200, but you have not been able to buy a cap of this type at USD 200 for a couple of decades and more.

Yes, I've already started browsing the classifieds on here. Who knows, I may just happen upon something in my budget someday!
    Just for the craic, in case anyone's interested, I received this email in response to my requested refund which in fairness the seller has approved. Enjoy!

"Hi! I'm sure you noticed by now that I have approved the return, but we've got get one thing straight about the hat. It is NOT a reproduction. It was discarded by a retreating German soldier in Estonia at the end of W.W. II. I know the family who found it amongst a ton of other German things all of which were 100% good. The officer who discarded was severely wounded, and passed away after three days. None of this makes any difference, but I passed it on just for accuracy sake."

As we always say, "Buy the item, not the story".
    Yes, he states it is not a reproduction, but it is an outright fake. Glad you are getting your money back.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Seller = Liar
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    As we always say, "Buy the item, not the story".
    Ralph.
    This would not be the first time Mr Sykes has heard these words of wisdom. I am hoping that he has heard it loud and clear this time.
    Good luck Mr Sykes in your future endeavors
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes indeed AZPhil, although both items were bought online, and hastily within the same week, and as such might be chalked up as a joint folly. I've been looking at the ruptured duck site, and to be quite honest - I'm already at the stage where I would spend this sort of money in return for the 'real thing.' And let's see what the dealers at Brimfield Antique market have to offer later this week!
    When I become a WRF club member I shall make my signature: 'Act in haste - repent at leisure'. It was a firm favourite of my late grandfather, and I'm beginning to see why.
    Best regards,

Quote by Sykes27f View Post
    Yes indeed AZPhil, although both items were bought online, and hastily within the same week, and as such might be chalked up as a joint folly. I've been looking at the ruptured duck site, and to be quite honest - I'm already at the stage where I would spend this sort of money in return for the 'real thing.' And let's see what the dealers at Brimfield Antique market have to offer later this week!
    When I become a WRF club member I shall make my signature: 'Act in haste - repent at leisure'. It was a firm favourite of my late grandfather, and I'm beginning to see why.
    Best regards,
    The act in haste and repent in leisure sentiment is a sound one.
    It arises from a different age than our digital mad house, but I wholly endorse it.
    Some of us who have been at this digital thing for fifteen years and collecting for decades (more or less five in my case) assume a level of knowledge in others that is unwarranted, and we are enjoined to show patience and graciousness in a situation of this kind.
    The idea that an Estonian would truthfully portray some relic is a pleasing one, but most stories in the internet and in collecting generally are hilarious absurdities.
    Even the ones under girded by "research" often do not hold up.

The old style field cap for officers is a rare and desirable thing, which you can find with some diligence and coordination with others in the know.

Write to Paul Sack, who is perhaps the leading US head gear collector, and ask for his help. He is a gracious and informed person, with whom I have had
    very excellent experiences.

I first bought a field cap for infantry in Germany in 1973. I had one for a Truppensonderfuehrer, too. Now I have a silken cavalry one of which I am very proud.
    It cost me USD 2500, and it came from a renowned collection of a man I thought highly of, who died too young.

The infantry one on the Shea site is a very pleasing, rare piece, but I cannot generalize about prices.

Others have an inside track on prices, and analyze the market in a methodical way. I do not.

I buy what I want at a too hefty price, but I have always resold at a profit. Maybe not 20%, but at a profit all the same.

I do not buy these things to make a profit.

I do not subscribe to the cultural pessimism and or Freudian projection hype on the other site that the militaria market is rapidly disappearing.

The world wide interest in Germany and the unbroken media fixation on the second world war suggest otherwise.

Happy hats.

I quite agree F-Berthold. Indeed I'm afraid I stand representative of this broadband - wireless 'instant-gratification' generation (if the phenomenon can be whittled down to a single generation's modus operandi). And I'm sure there is a link between this pace of expectation and my hasty purchases in the past few weeks. There certainly is a lot to be said for patience and diligence. I'm learning fast.
    I've been looking at Wittmann Militaria, The Ruptured Duck and others online, and I am going to make patience and research my two watchwords. I love it that these dealers offer layaway too, as I have a habit of becoming enmeshed in hobbies which outgun my income!
    I just hope members on here don't get too p***ed off with what might soon become a mire of my 'is this authentic' type posts! I fully intend to post photos of dealers wares at this week's antique fair, and seek all y'all's opinions on items before cash changes hands. I'm after a complete single decal stahlhelm, Heer, with sound liner and strap, or a good condition field cap. Preferably for around or below the 600$ mark for the helmet, and a little less for the cap. I've heard good things about Brimfield Antique Market - let's see what comes up!
    Thanks for your input and patience!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast