Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)

Article about: Mauro, if you have inspected ex your M 43, which you have trade to Aleks, then you can see the small diference, as much of this hats had. The liner connected to the visor with inside seam fi

?

Thank you very much Bob!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)
    P
    Many

?

I like the shape and cut of the cap, but this kind of items I prefer hand inspection
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

More negative opinions on GHW...:

Hi Krisse,
    I'm sorry but I don't like the cap from these new pictures.To me looks clear it has artificially aged.

Yep and aged fake and the liner material doesn't look correct either if you can get your money back I suggest you do so ASAP.

?

I've seen the posts where fake caps considered as good, and good hats as a fakes. This is your decision to take or not, or to send item to the fellow members for a hand inspection
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

piw
    ?

Having owned quite a few of these caps over recent years, from the pictures this is a cap I'd be happy to own.

Just a quick thought,but....Who cares what anyone says on the "other forum"? Adrian Stevenson and Bob Coleman have both given this cap their thumbs up, so what does it matter what anyone else says? Some self-professed expert going by the age-old philosophy of "If I have it-it's real....If You have it-it's fake"...? Adrian Stevenson and Bob Coleman are 2 of the top experts in the World-enough said.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Potentially a very rare and valuable cap so we need to tread carefully here.

My observation are:

Original insignia (best TK I've seen in awhile, just great) but the patina of both TK and eagle doesn't seem to match each other that well. I suspect the eagle might have been sewn on much later but it might just be because the thread in the TK is more pearl and the eagle more white. Not unusual. There also might be another explanation, more on that below.

The hat itself is the correct cut and construction for an SS one button feldmuetze, in my opinion.

The important bit!
    The lining shows some odd discolourisation but I think I can explain that.
    My suggestion is that the cap has been heavily washed sometime post war. Sweat and hair grease will stain fabric but you can't see that stain until you wash the filth off. Likewise, the exterior wool also shows areas of discolourisation. That's not really age or sun fading, it was the grime and oil in the cap that did that. Once it gets washed out, the difference in the colour of the fabric becomes obvious.

In other words, had this cap NOT been washed, the wool fabric and lining would be all greasy, filthy and basically, black all over.
    Ironically, washing it has probably improved the appearance but made it much harder to authenticate because it looks like artificial ageing.
    I had the same issue with a black sidecap I own.
    HG Panzer Sidecap - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

The problem with collecting fabric garments is that not many people have any idea of how fabrics react to their environment or washing etc. I would bet that a lot of collectors have never even washed their own clothes in their life so how would they know these things?!

So back to the Panzer feldmuetze, for what it's worth, I really like it and I think you've got a winner there. It will split opinion though and you'll just have to live with that or not. I'd glady take it off your hands if you don't want it! that TK is an absolute gem of an example.

?

Thank you very much Ben. I appreciate your opinion.

Cheers,

Kris.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Potentially a very rare and valuable cap so we need to tread carefully here.

My observation are:

Original insignia (best TK I've seen in awhile, just great) but the patina of both TK and eagle doesn't seem to match each other that well. I suspect the eagle might have been sewn on much later but it might just be because the thread in the TK is more pearl and the eagle more white. Not unusual. There also might be another explanation, more on that below.

The hat itself is the correct cut and construction for an SS one button feldmuetze, in my opinion.

The important bit!
    The lining shows some odd discolourisation but I think I can explain that.
    My suggestion is that the cap has been heavily washed sometime post war. Sweat and hair grease will stain fabric but you can't see that stain until you wash the filth off. Likewise, the exterior wool also shows areas of discolourisation. That's not really age or sun fading, it was the grime and oil in the cap that did that. Once it gets washed out, the difference in the colour of the fabric becomes obvious.

In other words, had this cap NOT been washed, the wool fabric and lining would be all greasy, filthy and basically, black all over.
    Ironically, washing it has probably improved the appearance but made it much harder to authenticate because it looks like artificial ageing.
    I had the same issue with a black sidecap I own.
    HG Panzer Sidecap - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

The problem with collecting fabric garments is that not many people have any idea of how fabrics react to their environment or washing etc. I would bet that a lot of collectors have never even washed their own clothes in their life so how would they know these things?!

So back to the Panzer feldmuetze, for what it's worth, I really like it and I think you've got a winner there. It will split opinion though and you'll just have to live with that or not. I'd glady take it off your hands if you don't want it! that TK is an absolute gem of an example.

?

No problem.

As luck would have it, a perfect example of what I'm talking about was recently posted here:

SS Feldmutze

Notice how the wool has discoloured in the same area around the crown and seams and even under the visor.
    That's not sun bleaching. If it were, the whole cap would be more or less bleached the same but not under the visor..
    That's sweat and hair oils. They get into the fabric and stain it. Looks like this one was never washed though and has turned a bit mildewy!

Next time you guys have your T-Shirts washed by your wife/girlfriend, look under the armpits. Once the sweat and deodorant has been washed out, the fabric will still be stained/bleached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)   Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)  

Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)  

?

Thx again Ben.

What about the BIAS material that is missing?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast