Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)

Article about: Mauro, if you have inspected ex your M 43, which you have trade to Aleks, then you can see the small diference, as much of this hats had. The liner connected to the visor with inside seam fi

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    There's one thing about the linings in these caps that can prove authenticity.

Hands up who knows what that is?
    And that is?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)
    P
    Many

Its whats behind the lining that most don't know about....interfacings of buckram and stiffeners to the lower edge and front body seam.

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Its whats behind the lining that most don't know about....interfacings of buckram and stiffeners to the lower edge and front body seam.
    The BIAS-material???

No, but bias tape is frequently but not always used in the front flap scallop seam. An exception would be on the early Bergmutzen. Bias tape stretches and that is not what you want internally to keep a cap from changing size as it goes under the presser foot of the machine.

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    No, but bias tape is frequently but not always used in the front flap scallop seam. An exception would be on the early Bergmutzen. Bias tape stretches and that is not what you want internally to keep a cap from changing size as it goes under the presser foot of the machine.
    Ah yes, I see. Thx.

?

Didn't see this thread, posted the above images in the other thread on this cap. Ben I don't think the washing effect is what caused the discoloration. The edging of the discoloration is too perfect, I believe it's been chemically treated. Anyway I respect Mauro's opinion and while people are quick to discount opinions from "other" fora Lenny who is the best there is on M43 caps IMO agreed it was bad. Just because an opinion comes from "other" fora doesn't make it worth less than here, or vice versa.

Anyway not getting into a pissing match on it either, just making a point and the cap, given its desirability, needs to be "squeaky clean" (pun intended LOL) IMO and this would not be for me.

Ben, i'm italian, so sorry about my description.

However i think i took the key points about m43 so i think a lot of people trained on m43 understood.

I try to explain:

when i see a perfect sewing without any fault mistake i mean a sewing like that _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and not like _ _ __ _ _ _ _ , f you examine m43 you will easy find mistake on sewing.

patina of thread: thread (wire) discoloration it's not the same, it depends on areas. For example the thread on bottom earmuffs could be easily different on the thread under visor or back earnmuffs near button.

In the cap i see fresh bright black thread, all in the same patina who doesn't change colour into brown/purple.

I NEVER seen a natural discoloration of wool like showed. MOREOVER, the wartime / old black wool don't change colour into brown purple on this way. Check all the picture you want about black items and find my a single item who have this kind of black.
    Modern... a lot.
    By the way also if it was possible (for me NOT) it's not possible AT ALL a discoloration so heavy up to a certain area and the millimeter after no

(... continue)

reinforcement on under flaps: i mean that ...

it's extremely rare don't find it, and when you find it's always sewed as "U"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)  

another thing i don't like at all, cause is not the only strange feature is that:

the greatest part of m43 have always or really quite always a more then double sewing of flaps (earmuffs) near visor.
    The cap in question not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pz.SS M43 cap (Wittmann-style)  

?

Yes guys, thanks a lot. I hope Carlsson1982 is fair enough to give me my money back!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast