Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Gruppenfuhrer kepi at auction

Article about: Hi All - this one is coming up for auction and I would appreciate your comments. It is being described by the auctioneer as a gruppenfuhrer's kepi from Gdansk/Danzig, and apparently that is

?

Default SA Gruppenfuhrer kepi at auction

Hi All - this one is coming up for auction and I would appreciate your comments. It is being described by the auctioneer as a gruppenfuhrer's kepi from Gdansk/Danzig, and apparently that is based on the tinnie or button on the front. I think the crown and flap piping are good/plausible, and the tresse is close to the 'zickzacktresse' depicted in Volume III of the Headgear series (pg. 390, 394). I understand there can be significant variation in the tresse.

However, the shape of the visor and its angle of attachment to the cap look off. The interior is a bit problematic, as I believe the sweatband should be joined at the rear of the cap. The top color appears to be crimson, which I believe is correct for a gruppenfuhrer (at least for a period of time). Is the paper sticker on the sweatband a price tag?

For me, it falls outside of what I would expect in an original kepi, although I am no expert. I am curious what others think.
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Gruppenfuhrer kepi at auction
    P
    Many

J, high-end fake from the late 80s/early 90s. A bunch of these were just sold in the C & T Auction.
    Amazing how the covid virus has brought about panic-selling of high-end fakes.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

The Danzig pin must have been all the rage back then--here is an SS Kepi fake with one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Gruppenfuhrer kepi at auction  

?

Thank you for the reply. You know, if i saw this kepi at the C & T Auction you mentioned, I would have discounted it immediately. I think because it is being sold by a 'preeminent' auction house, it gave me pause. Live and learn!

Quote by jlhubb View Post
    Thank you for the reply. You know, if i saw this kepi at the C & T Auction you mentioned, I would have discounted it immediately. I think because it is being sold by a 'preeminent' auction house, it gave me pause. Live and learn!
    Unfortunately, they all get it wrong at times (some a lot more so than others).
    However, I do not believe this SA was deliberate on their part.
    One thing I have noticed is that Weitze is moving a lot of his stale inventory through them of late.