Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS cap or crap?

Article about: I got this cap at a recent auction and wonder if it is authentic. It has an RZM tag and a slip of paper with a number on it written in pencil next to the tag. The material is very lightweigh

?

Default SS cap or crap?

I got this cap at a recent auction and wonder if it is authentic. It has an RZM tag and a slip of paper with a number on it written in pencil next to the tag. The material is very lightweight gaberdine. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS cap or crap?   SS cap or crap?  

SS cap or crap?   SS cap or crap?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS cap or crap?
    P
    Many

An RZM tag has no place on an item of Heer uniform (which is what this is, as indicated by the insignia). It's almost certainly a spurious addition, added by someone with very little forethought in an attempt to deceive. I can't comment on the cap itself, but the presence of the tag calls the authenticity of the whole piece into question.

B.B.

?

I'm not even sure whether the pictures are from the same cap - there were no sweatshields in these caps. Should it be in this cap the cap cannot be original (apart from the fact that the sweatshield obviously is made of plastic so that every cap with it must be a fake).

?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    I'm not even sure whether the pictures are from the same cap - there were no sweatshields in these caps. Should it be in this cap the cap cannot be original (apart from the fact that the sweatshield obviously is made of plastic so that every cap with it must be a fake).
    I assure you the pics are from the same cap. I assume the RZM tag is fake, otherwise why would one attach it to this hat? What is the purpose of the number written on the piece of paper inserted in the sweatshield?

Quote by Pablo View Post
    I assure you the pics are from the same cap. I assume the RZM tag is fake, otherwise why would one attach it to this hat? What is the purpose of the number written on the piece of paper inserted in the sweatshield?
    Presumably it would have been the owner's service number, if it were authentic.

B.B.

It isn't an SS Einheitsfeldmütze, but I'm not convinced it is an original Heer one either. The material looks similar to those made in China, the fake RZM label adds nothing to make me think it is anything other than a modern fantasy piece I'm afraid. I hope it wasn't expensive.

?

If this is the inside of the cap, forget about it. A4 tags were for (embroidered) badges, caps (if there were RZM-tags in them) had A1 (cap factory = industry) or A2 (cap makers = handicraft) tags.

See here: RZM list of approved hat makers

RZM Paper Tag

?

Thanks very much for the information. It seems to be crap. May make a good rag to check my oil level.