Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS crush cap?

Article about: Hi Ben, The picture I have shown is deceptive. The side lining is not a guaze but actually a patterned cotton material. A quick descriptive extract that will go with the detailed photo in th

Default Re: SS crush cap?

Quote by spandau View Post
    Apply your science to this lot Ben !!!

Attachment 292199
    A cap that got a lot of use in the 100,000 man army. A hint of course, is JR = Jnfanterie Regiment. You will tell me the garrison of same, however. The Roman and Arabic numerals signify the respective echelons of command. Ben's article is informative, but the beginning collector had best to have the table of command of the German army before them. In the 1970s, a UK firm published a nice handbook from the British army on just this topic. I will scan it, if I can find it, which I likely cannot. I am not very digital.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS crush cap?
    P
    Many

Gentlemen,

thanks for sharing your knowledge and sources ! This evening has been yet another journey of discovery.

regards

tony

Quote by spandau View Post
    Gentlemen,

thanks for sharing your knowledge and sources ! This evening has been yet another journey of discovery.

regards

tony
    thanks to you. We want to read your book, too.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    This is a good study of Imperial Army depot stamps and highlights the complexity of the subject. Some nice images also..
    Colonel J's - Articles - Depot Marks
    Very fine source.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    A cap that got a lot of use in the 100,000 man army.
    My goodness, you can say that again!

At some point in time though, the previous proceedure of applying so many depot and regiment stamps was obviously cleared away. Does anyone have an insight into why that was so?

?

I've just noticed something else about Tony's cap that is most interesting to me, being a boring construction worker..

Notice the gauze material used for the sides of the internal lining. This is not typical because it's usualy used as a layer between the lining and cap cover.

Having said that, I once owned this Heer Officers feldmuetze that never had anything other than just this gauze material as a lining.

Damn, why did I sell it!? It was the most interesting field cap I've ever seen...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS crush cap?   SS crush cap?  

SS crush cap?  

Quote by BenVK View Post
    My goodness, you can say that again!

At some point in time though, the previous proceedure of applying so many depot and regiment stamps was obviously cleared away. Does anyone have an insight into why that was so?
    The Rw was a little army with no money and said cap was created at the nadir of Germany's economic and military fortunes, ca. 1921. Thus, the materiel had to last with Prussian and Swabian thrift. The Wehrmacht was a big army with a budget of unlimited size. I once spent six months of my life reading the Reichstag debates about the German navy of 1928.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-15-2012 at 02:41 AM.

SS crush cap?SS crush cap?SS crush cap?SS crush cap?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    I've just noticed something else about Tony's cap that is most interesting to me, being a boring construction worker..

Notice the gauze material used for the sides of the internal lining. This is not typical because it's usualy used as a layer between the lining and cap cover.

Having said that, I once owned this Heer Officers feldmuetze that never had anything other than just this gauze material as a lining.

Damn, why did I sell it!? It was the most interesting field cap I've ever seen...
    My enlisted Rw cap had a not dissimilar lining, and the side pieces of the lining in the RZM regulations make mention of the use of cloth that breathes, that is more porous than the top. I shall find it and scan it at some point.SS crush cap?SS crush cap?SS crush cap?
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-15-2012 at 03:06 AM.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    and the side pieces of the lining in the RZM regulations make mention of the use of cloth that breathes, that is more porous than the top. I shall find it and scan it at some point.
    That would make most interesting reading, thank you!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    That would make most interesting reading, thank you!
    I will look for it. It made an impression on me. Look at my Rw cap with the pink piping. It looks as if they took the lining of a matress, or Klumpen, that is rags, to line the thing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast