Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Gray Top Hat - Too Good to Be True?

Article about: Hello Gentleman, Annoyed from this ads?   Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. These hats (which I only have one not so good picture) have been advertised in a local selli

Default SS Gray Top Hat - Too Good to Be True?

Hello Gentleman,

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. These hats (which I only have one not so good picture) have been advertised in a local selling arena. I've requested more pictures but have not heard back from the seller. I've emailed numerous times with no reply.

The Reichsbahn visor hat is something I've never encountered in this form. The SS visor looks more true to form, but more pictures are needed to make a final judgment.

I'm feeling really uncomfortable with both knowing the rarity of a real SS gray top hat. The seller wants $90 US for both or $50 US each. The seller also says they are both 1940's vintage.

My question is (without having more pictures) whether I can discount both as being fakes and put this saga to rest?

Thanks, Ron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Gray Top Hat - Too Good to Be True?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Gray Top Hat - Too Good to Be True?
    P
    Many

For such low prices they're most likely fakes. People who have genuine items most the time know the pricing tags on these, it's unlikely that the seller has a genuine ss-cap and only asks less than a hundred for it. But it's difficult to say from this one picture.

no way jose.

I reckon he is trying to sell to the "ever hopeful".............probably got some more in the box they are on top of for the next sale !

NO WAY! each under 100??? That right there sends huge flags up.

For these prices they have to be fakes! But good-looking cheap fakes! It's up to you if you want the expensive and real thing or a cheap but good looking one in your collection!

Quote by scruff1 View Post
    I've requested more pictures but have not heard back from the seller. I've emailed numerous times with no reply.
    The seller wants $90 US for both or $50 US each. The seller also says they are both 1940's vintage.
    Does he also want $100 in cash in a plain envelope sent to a PO box???
    Could be what he asked of the other dozen or more responders to his ad.......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Does he also want $100 in cash in a plain envelope sent to a PO box???
    Could be what he asked of the other dozen or more responders to his ad.......
    The seller doesn't mention any payment method. I'm guessing they want an in person cash transaction.

?

Keep in mind, if the seller is able to upload photos onto a website and post an add...they probably did a quick search to find the value of similar items if they are not a collector and just "found it in grandpa's attic".

On the other hand sometimes things are posted by other family members who could care less about the item sold. We all have stories of some poor bast..rd's items sold for peanuts by angry X. I guess you never know until you have in hand or more photos. Good luck!

Call and speak to the seller if possible. As stated above, no wires, western union ect... If there is a hard luck story attached ....run the other way.

Quote by Anzel View Post
    Keep in mind, if the seller is able to upload photos onto a website and post an add...they probably did a quick search to find the value of similar items if they are not a collector and just "found it in grandpa's attic".

On the other hand sometimes things are posted by other family members who could care less about the item sold. We all have stories of some poor bast..rd's items sold for peanuts by angry X. I guess you never know until you have in hand or more photos. Good luck!

Call and speak to the seller if possible. As stated above, no wires, western union ect... If there is a hard luck story attached ....run the other way.

Thanks for the information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast