Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Kepi

Article about: I think I have seen originals of these before. I am not very knowledgable on SS cloth headgear. I know these pics aren't the best, so I won't ask if you think it is original, but can any of

Default Re: SS Kepi

Mo...what happened to the ...."Apparently it belonged to the woman's grandfather and it has been in an attic for a long time ".....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Kepi
    P
    Many

Quote by militarymania View Post
    Mo...what happened to the ...."Apparently it belonged to the woman's grandfather and it has been in an attic for a long time ".....
    Like I said, I'll believe the item before I believe the story. That was just the story, hence the word, "apparently". lol

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Well, it's unfortunate, but I guess that's one more too-good-to-be-true find gone by. Thank you all for your help. Whenever I get the extra pictures, I will post them here just for the sake of adding them to the database.

Best regards,
    Mo
    SS Kepis are certainly not too good to be true to find, though they are still very rare and (in my opinion, underappreciated). You have to be willing to pay the price for originals. Usually if it seems too good to be true then it is. Fortunately, in my very short time collecting WWII militaria seriously, I've never had to learn that the hard way, though I have been (just starting out) blinded to the occasional sh!*ty item mainly because of a price that seemed to cleverly straddle the line between a huge deal and a sane figure, only to be given the hard truth later.

Study, patience and perseverance are all virtues in the hobby, as you know. Sorry, I don't want this to go off on another discussion of prices. There are more interesting things to discuss, like the objects themselves, though the market side is an unavoidable aspect of the hobby. We're all indebted to the knowledgeable personae who graciously guide us neophytes away from ill-advised disaster. They did not have it nearly this easy when they were starting out.

This forum has tons of authentic SS regalia pictured on it, including kepis.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by locloc08; 01-20-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    SS Kepis are certainly not too good to be true to find, though they are still very rare and (in my opinion, underappreciated). You have to be willing to pay the price for originals. Usually if it seems too good to be true than it is. Fortunately, in my very short time collecting WWII militaria seriously, I've never had to learn that the hard way, though I have been (just starting out) blinded to the occasional sh!*ty item mainly because of a price that seemed to cleverly straddle the line between a huge deal and a sane figure, only to be given the hard truth later.

Study, patience and perseverance are all virtues in the hobby, as you know. Sorry, I don't want this to go off on another discussion of prices. There are more interesting things to discuss, like the objects themselves, though the market side is an unavoidable aspect of the hobby. We're all indebted to the knowledgeable personae who graciously guide us neophytes away from ill-advised disaster. They did not have it nearly this when they were starting out.

This forum has tons of authentic SS regalia pictured on it, including kepis.

Good luck in your search.
    Very well said. You get an excellent grade for your clarity of style, balance of thought, and civic mindedness with constructive advice to a person in a critical situation. May others emulate this example of productive advice.SS KepiSS KepiSS KepiSS Kepi

Forehead pressure is an odious thing.

Like I said, I'll believe the item before I believe the story. That was just the story, hence the word, "apparently". lol
    My friend you seem to be learning just as I have had to about the advent of the internet in collecting. Just as in anything with the internet people hide behind the anonymity of it and this helps crooks thrive. I have had to tell myself from the get-go this: "If they are posting something for sale on the internet they, at least in theory know as much as I do if not more. They can look at the same things I can and have access to the same forums I do. Hence if they are starting off shady with very few photos with bad angles then mark it as suspect and move on.". As I have seen other members on here state they wish they had the internet when they first started collecting I feel the same way. Now we do though and with forums such as this we need to take advantage of past posts and covered material to better ourselves and our collections.

Quote by Killroy View Post
    My friend you seem to be learning just as I have had to about the advent of the internet in collecting. Just as in anything with the internet people hide behind the anonymity of it and this helps crooks thrive. I have had to tell myself from the get-go this: "If they are posting something for sale on the internet they, at least in theory know as much as I do if not more. They can look at the same things I can and have access to the same forums I do. Hence if they are starting off shady with very few photos with bad angles then mark it as suspect and move on.". As I have seen other members on here state they wish they had the internet when they first started collecting I feel the same way. Now we do though and with forums such as this we need to take advantage of past posts and covered material to better ourselves and our collections.
    I actually do the opposite. In the event that I come across an ad for something for sale I always pursue it immediately. There is always the small chance that something will turn out to be real when it is posted for a ridiculously low price. I have acquired several items at very low prices because of this.

In a few years when I am out of college and I have a good job, and therefore a lot more money to work with, I will buy high-end militaria from respected dealers and other collectors at the expected price. But for now, I have to rely on whatever deals I can find. I can't remember the last time I went and bought an item at full dealer price.

To be a broke militaria collector is a terrible thing. It is a form of torture. I guess most of us were there at some point.

I actually do the opposite. In the event that I come across an ad for something for sale I always pursue it immediately. There is always the small chance that something will turn out to be real when it is posted for a ridiculously low price. I have acquired several items at very low prices because of this.
    Do try to put aside a little time to become an active student of militaria rather than simply an active buyer/appreciator. I think you'll find that an honest effort at studying that which you collect will make the way of proceeding you've outlined above much less needed, and will also deepen your appreciation. I've always been interested in military history, but I've only been collecting regalia seriously for about a year. I'm shocked at how far I've come and humbled by how far I have yet to go. We owe it to ourselves and the hobby to learn rather than just ask for answers. For those on whom we rely, it was not as simple as saying "real or fake, tell me", "is this good", ad nauseam in the realm of cyberspace when they were in our position. There will come a time when you and I and those in our position similarly will have to be the helping hand.

Strive to become more knowledgeable than the dealers. They are fallible. Similarly, practice patience. If you feel you are not in the best position right now as a buyer, as you say, perhaps your time would be better served studying the regalia and the history behind it than going after the blind, uninformed, long-shot deal that inevitably ends in disappointment. When the time comes where you are in a better position to buy, as you say it will, you will find yourself to be a more informed, more appreciative buyer.

Do try to put aside a little time to become an active student of militaria rather than simply an active buyer/appreciator. I think you'll find that an honest effort at studying that which you collect will make the way of proceeding you've outlined above much less needed, and will also deepen your appreciation. I've always been interested in military history, but I've only been collecting regalia seriously for about a year. I'm shocked at how far I've come and humbled by how far I have yet to go. We owe it to ourselves and the hobby to learn rather than just ask for answers. For those on whom we rely, it was not as simple as saying "real or fake, tell me", "is this good", ad nauseam in the realm of cyberspace when they were in our position. There will come a time when you and I and those in our position similarly will have to be the helping hand.

Strive to become more knowledgeable than the dealers. They are fallible. Similarly, practice patience. If you feel you are not in the best position right now as a buyer, as you say, perhaps your time would be better served studying the regalia and the history behind it than going after the blind, uninformed, long-shot deal that inevitably ends in disappointment. When the time comes where you are in a better position to buy, as you say it will, you will find yourself to be a more informed, more appreciative buyer.
    I completely agree.

The only thing about this cap is that I am primarily a helmet, badge, and medal collector and I do not have a single piece of cloth headgear to my name. When I saw this kepi at the price it was at I wanted to make sure it wasn't fake of course. I really have put a lot of time into learning, especially over the past couple of years. But like I said, I am a helmet, badge, and medal collector so the majority of my militaria knowledge falls within those categories. This kepi wasn't a dealer item, I found an ad for it online. If the kepi had turned out to be original, I would have bought it for the $200 asking price, in which case it would have been the deal of my lifetime.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

Best regards,
    Mo

?

Excellent advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2