Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS NCO Schirmmutze

Article about: I just wanted to get some opinions on this one. If its a fake......its a good one!! Thank you in advance for your opinions! Best Sam

Quote by GoodOldGermany View Post
    - SS symbol inside the hat is missing, also the hash made of plastic for the nameplate
    - there is no identification label with size, producer etc. inside
    - visor looks new, like fresh from a chinese factory
    - if this hat is original, it must be older than 70 years! Do you really think after such a long time, it looks new?
    - leather stripe inside looks also new and untouched
    - leather stripe over the visor looks also new and the backside of the stripe is light, leather becomes dark with the time, because of the environmental influences
    - then look at the grey material, there is no one moth hole

Look on other photos in this forum and compare this model with them. You will see the difference....
    Thank you for responding back Mr. GoodOldGerman. I'd just like to point out if this was an original it would've been a late war example and thus wouldn't of had to possess the "[golden interior] SS runes, nameplate, identification label, size marking, producer, etc.". Minus the triple serial number Mr. Stonemint pointed out--which I originally missed...good eyes sir and thank you--this is exactly what one would expect to find.
    As for your question regarding condition, old items are uncovered almost daily in similar condition. So yes, I do think these caps can still be in perfect condition. In fact, other than the sweatband which according to Mr. Stonemint is almost 70 years old itself, the rest of the cap is likely made of materials left over from the war...hints why I think it's a little better than a "middle class fake".
    Every so often this debate comes up and all I can say is you'll find items a month old that can look 70 years old while 70 year old items can look as if they were made yesterday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS NCO Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

Here's a well preserved original late-war SS example void of all markings, nameplates and tags though the size is still somewhat present--many times it isn't.
    SS NCO Schirmmutze

And from a thread of mine about condition; here's a original example of a Heer parade helmet in even better condition than the visor we're discussing.
    SS NCO SchirmmutzeSS NCO SchirmmutzeSS NCO SchirmmutzeSS NCO Schirmmutze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2