Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SS Side cap or not the real article

Article about: Hi all.This is my first time posting on War Relics What i have is a cloth cap (Gabardine).It is marked inside with two stamps one either side and in different coloured ink. There are no othe

?

Default SS Side cap or not the real article

Hi all.This is my first time posting on War Relics
    What i have is a cloth cap (Gabardine).It is marked inside with two stamps one either side and in different coloured ink.
    There are no other markings or insignia.
    What i can say is that i recently left this cap over night in the car and the next morning it was very clear to make out the
    impression made by a metal skull badge.This outline was very visible and also the stitching line where the eagle would have been sewn on the left of the cap.
    Behind the folded up material there are also stitching threads from where i presume the cloth insignia was first attatched.If you look very closely one can still make out fine indentation on the lower part of the front cap and also the tiny hole in the material.Well thats enough of me jabbering and i leave it down to you guys to offer your expert opinions.
    One question.Is it possible that a cloth insignia could be replaced for metal skull badge???
    Please view pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Side cap or not the real article   SS Side cap or not the real article  

SS Side cap or not the real article   SS Side cap or not the real article  

SS Side cap or not the real article  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Side cap or not the real article
    P
    Many

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question on insignia is you can put either on this one.

In terms of the cap being a good one, I'd say not IMO. The material does not look right/period and the stitching/manufacture of the cap suggests a reproduction in my eyes. Along with bogus stamps......sorry.

Hope this won't put you off posting in the future.

Others may have a a different opinion so hang on in there !

cheers

Tony

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, but as Tony has outlined, the cap is certainly bad.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Welcome to the forum Rayco ,as the gentlemen above have already said ,this unfortunately is not a period SS side cap. The construction is not like that of a WW2 example, I guess this is one that has been made for re-enactors to use. Leon.

anything with stamps all over it treat with suspition.

?

Default Well that's that then

Ok guys many thanks.At least I now know for sure and can put it to bed.