Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS visor cap - authentication needed

Article about: I'm in the process of purchasing this cap from an antique store in Germany. The owner of the store said, to his knowledge, this hat belonged to an Otto Hildenbranel who served with the SS Pi

Additionally, if one wants to be serious about the hobby, I cannot recommend Wim's books highly enough (as well as the others)--see this thread:

Recommended Soft Headgear Collecting Reference Books
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor cap - authentication needed
    P
    Many

?

My issue wasn't with this particular post. Actually I 'Thanked Ade's posting and 'Liked' his posting for that very reason. The postings I'm referring to are very common and littered throughout the site. You can basically go to any posting and see examples of what I was referring to.

CBH
    ?

Glad to see you've joined the forum, I hope your time here is enjoyable.
    There is always something new to learn here, you just can't expect easy answers.
    A one word reply is better then silence, even if the reply is "Fake"

"Mocking ridiculous fakes is also something that is completely understandable. The epitome of a hobby like this is knowledge. If a fake is posted that could be determined as such by the most hurried and basic of research, then it is assumed that the poster either did not bother to research the item themselves, or they are simply not interested in the historical aspect at all. To a forum that values comradeship, discussion and education over turning a buck, this can be construed as unpalatable at best, toxic at worst."

Well said. As one who quit in disgust, may I suggest to any new SS collector, if that if it is your level of ambition swiftly and easily to amass highly expensive items of SS uniform, i.e the grey peaked cap, then don't wear your heart on your sleeve.
    It is not an especially pleasant or feel-good pursuit. It is actually very brutal, like the people who wore the regalia. Mr. Mint here has assembled a resource
    of unparalleled depth and richness which costs USD 25 to examine. I quit in disgust over the unwillingness of many persons to engage in the self help that
    must be partner to mutual aid in all of this. There is a level of entitlement and lack of real, fundamental historical curiosity necessary for success.
    I have an above average size collection of SS material, including between 50 and 60 SS caps. I have exhaustively photographed these and explained
    how I recognize a fake or not, something I have been trying to do for a half century. I am sure there are others here more expert and facile with the task, but this is not a place where good feeling reigns and all the hard edges have been hammered out.
    On the contrary. Everytime I post something, I prep myself for all manner of wise cracks, or hurtful comments,
    which are sadly the stock and trade of communication in the 21st century

On line experiments with knowledge and the arts and sciences of the sources
    from the past are a difficult task. My colleagues have well described how many of us who have borne the burden get kicked in the head on an hourly basis,
    day in and day out, and it leads to a foul mood. It is part of the Zeitgeist.SS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication needed
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-17-2018 at 03:13 PM.

You need to approach the purchase of an SS cap with the care and caution you would apply in buying a used car of similar value. You buy with your head not your heart, you do your own research, you buy the books, study the photos, view in the hand if possible known authentic examples. You learn first. Over eagerness to spend money before knowledge has caught up, is a recipe for disaster, in buying both used cars or SS caps.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    You need to approach the purchase of an SS cap with the care and caution you would apply in buying a used car of similar value. You buy with your head not your heart, you do your own research, you buy the books, study the photos, view in the hand if possible known authentic examples. You learn first. Over eagerness to spend money before knowledge has caught up, is a recipe for disaster, in buying both used cars or SS caps.
    Well said.

SS visor cap - authentication needed

It s also sometimes necessary to be on the rather crude side to help people from making further mistakes. The more painful the lesson the less likely people will be to forget it even if it's made at another's expense. We've all been there. The item shown is not mine but I do feel badly for it's owner who is sadly out of $275 and they still sell these on eBay and can be found on there now. Call it a madness to the method but education is what this site is dedicated to. Best regards.

Brian

?

It was only my opinion. Nothing more. Obviously we see things a bit differently. I'm more of a 'try to help' kind of person. I appreciate the fact that many of you have posted numerous pictures and explained things in the past, but for a newbie....this forum is not designed for easy historical investigation. You can't type in a specific search word or combination of words and get the previous posts that you've worked so hard on. In addition, what you see as 'easily identified as a fake' may not be for someone new to the hobby. If one does a standard search online, they will most likely find sellers that are selling and representing items as genuine, that are not. When someone sees a 'reputable' site offering an item as 'genuine' it can confuse the issue greatly. That's why people come here. They're simply trying to get clarification. Once again, if we've lost money, most of us really don't want to here what dumbasses we are. With that being said, it's up to each individual to respond in the manner they see most appropriate. If the response manner is to make someone an easy punching bag, then do it. I was simply stating that it comes across as a bullying tactic.

SS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication neededSS visor cap - authentication needed

certain images courtesy Virtual Grenadier, otherwise Schreckenskammer FB.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3