Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS visor cap - authentication needed

Article about: I'm in the process of purchasing this cap from an antique store in Germany. The owner of the store said, to his knowledge, this hat belonged to an Otto Hildenbranel who served with the SS Pi

Default Re: SS visor cap - authentication needed

Quote by Adrian View Post
    95%? Post it in the dagger forum to be 100% either way!
    I was just taking the pictures to do so

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor cap - authentication needed
    P
    Many

?

One thing I've noticed is that members here are very quick to tell (especially new people) their item is Fake. But they typically don't provide any insight that could potentially help the newer person from preventing the same mistake in the future. Some even say things like 'that's the worst fake I've ever seen' or 'I would have recognized it was a fake from 200 ft...'. That's all well and good... and I congratulate you for having such superior knowledge.... Unfortunately many of us are not at your level and we joined this group because we care about this hobby and we're doing our best to do things the right way. When we make a mistake... please don't rub it in our faces.... Most of the time, we're already embarrassed and usually we're already out a lot of money. Having some pampas collector tell us how dumb we were, isn't really helping anyone. I'm not trying to insult anyone, just please keep this in mind. If you're going to take the time to reply to someone's posting, please do everyone a favor by typing a response that might actually help all of us learn and grow.... It's just my humble opinion...

I understand completely where you're coming from.

The attitude you mention is bourne from a long-standing occurrence on this forum. All too often new members will drift in, ask for authentication of a piece, get the good or bad news, then drift out never to be seen again. As a result of this, the majority of the veteran forumers are rather jaded towards new members. It isn't out of any sense of loathing or contempt, but rather one of tired caution.

Mocking ridiculous fakes is also something that is completely understandable. The epitome of a hobby like this is knowledge. If a fake is posted that could be determined as such by the most hurried and basic of research, then it is assumed that the poster either did not bother to research the item themselves, or they are simply not interested in the historical aspect at all. To a forum that values comradeship, discussion and education over turning a buck, this can be construed as unpalatable at best, toxic at worst.

Please don't assume that veteran collectors look down on us newbies. They were all in our position once. Even the most prestigious of collectors here have been burned at least once throughout the course of their hobby. It is the aforementioned world-weariness that causes such behaviour. And as something of an 'in-joke' for the community, it can be seen from the outside as rude or unpleasant.

True, posting 'fake' and leaving it at that is helpful to no one. And members who make such posts are often encouraged to elaborate. At the end of the day, we're all human, and no human being alive is entirely perfect.

Best regards, B.B.

?

Thanks for your reply. One thing everyone should remember is that the reason many newbies 'pop in and pop out' may be because they prefer not being told how stupid they are.... I've thought of giving it all up too. I've been burned. It's not humanly possible to consult an expert (in this forum or not) before you purchase every item. Sometimes to get a good deal, you have to act before doing hours of research. I understand it's risky but I'm sure every single person in this forum has acted (irrationally) from time to time. Anyway, if you're in this forum, try to help the newbies. I'm sure that you want to see your investments continue to grow in value.... So do your part in advancing the next generations interest in this hobby. Don't chase away the very people that may one day, like to purchase some of your items....

CBH
    ?

The deluge of inquiries causes a certain callousness after a while.
    "Is it Fake" questions have driven many members away from replying (often a Thankless task) , or the forum altogether, unfortunately.
    Might I suggest you become a paying member, which opens up more of the Forum and it wealth of Knowledge, well worth 25$.
    There are hundreds of excellent photos of every conceivable type of TR hat on this fine site. All originals unless stated otherwise.
    If the opening posts SS-Cap fools you into parting with many thousands of of dollars, A Fool and His Money are soon Parted.
    Cheers and best of Luck in all your Collecting.

I can vouch for the Gold Club being well worth the money. In less than a year, it's saved me hundreds of pounds on potential bad purchases.

B.B.

?

Thanks for your reply. I paid as of day 1 but am not sure why it doesn't show. There seemed to be an issue the night I did it but Ade responded and informed me that my payment went through. I'd pay $100/yr, if everyone was helpful and treated others with respect. I have no problem paying for a good service. It's when I have to pay to be called stupid, that I have a problem... I can find people to tell me that for free....

Quote by Cwrenn View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I paid as of day 1 but am not sure why it doesn't show. There seemed to be an issue the night I did it but Ade responded and informed me that my payment went through. I'd pay $100/yr, if everyone was helpful and treated others with respect. I have no problem paying for a good service. It's when I have to pay to be called stupid, that I have a problem... I can find people to tell me that for free....
    First of all,
    We are not here for a "Service", this is a discussion forum for members.

We help new members out of the goodness of our heart, many times we are repaid with crickets.
    If you do decide to pay for a membership, it should only be because you want to help keep this forum up and running because you find it useful or helpful.
    It would also give you access to parts of the forum that are reserved for those of us who care about the forum and have stepped up to help keep it running.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Cwrenn View Post
    Thanks for your reply. One thing everyone should remember is that the reason many newbies 'pop in and pop out' may be because they prefer not being told how stupid they are.... I've thought of giving it all up too. I've been burned. It's not humanly possible to consult an expert (in this forum or not) before you purchase every item. Sometimes to get a good deal, you have to act before doing hours of research. I understand it's risky but I'm sure every single person in this forum has acted (irrationally) from time to time. Anyway, if you're in this forum, try to help the newbies. I'm sure that you want to see your investments continue to grow in value.... So do your part in advancing the next generations interest in this hobby. Don't chase away the very people that may one day, like to purchase some of your items....
    This is a very old thread (going on 7+ years), but I do not see where the OP was treated rudely or disrespectfully.
    If anything, he was given an answer, and Ade even told him why the cap was bad.

Most everything on this forum is geared to help the new collector, so that he/she does not have to make the same mistakes we all did (and paid dearly for--literally).

To that end, I have an entire subforum geared to fakes--from high-end Frankenstein visors, to middle of the road fakes, to Ebay junkers, as well as West German visors that were "Nazified" postwar (aka "BRD poseurs").

It is all here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/quest...ats-reference/
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

& on the flip side, there is an entire subforum geared to Authentic headgear here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/guide...ch-visor-hats/

One of the best ways to learn is to compare and contrast by simply searching out the real hats (of whatever branch you are interested in) and then looking at the fakes of that same branch/organization in the Questionable headgear subforum.

(BTW, the authentic subforum is primarily visor hats, but I am in the process of broadening it to include M-43s, Schiffchens, Donald Ducks, etc).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast