Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS visor cap help ID

Article about: Came across this visor cap and because Im a new collector, wonder if i could get some opinions?

?

Default SS visor cap help ID

Came across this visor cap and because Im a new collector, wonder if i could get some opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS visor cap help ID   SS visor cap help ID  

SS visor cap help ID   SS visor cap help ID  

SS visor cap help ID  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor cap help ID
    P
    Many

I am not knowledgeable about SS visor caps but... when you see a cap with missing insignia and the outline of them visible with a dirty ghosting that is a big red flag. I will defer to others. There are several very good resources here that can help you detect real from fake. NH

It has silver bullion crown piping (general) with white band piping ???

Hey Liam not a chance IMO. If it's trying to be feldgrau it s off by a mile. Wrong material and poorly constructed for an officers cap. Just plain old bad. Best regards.

Brian

I would study here and compare.

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

Maybe it's just me but any time I see that dull ill defined vulcanfiber visor I immediately think postwar fabrication. In the words of FB pfui.

More like these from Wim's book volume 4 headgear of Hitler's Germany.

SS visor cap help IDSS visor cap help ID
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 11-09-2017 at 03:04 AM.

As I suspected - thanks Brian! Liam - a recommendation. Since you are new to collecting, consider looking for a Heer or Luftwaffe visor first. They are much easier to identify, more plentiful and a lot less expensive. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    As I suspected - thanks Brian! Liam - a recommendation. Since you are new to collecting, consider looking for a Heer or Luftwaffe visor first. They are much easier to identify, more plentiful and a lot less expensive. NH
    There are plenty of fake or post war caps in Heer or Luft also. More so than fake SS hats. Either of the three branches...research & opinions are necessary before purchase. The cost is irrelevant. Whether you get beat on a $5K hat or a $1K hat...it should not happen if you study & ask for reliable opinions before writing a check.

If one has his sights on an SS officers visor cap...buying a Luft or Heer is not going to do him much good. Like comparing apples to oranges.

?

It was among a collection of other items that are most certainly genuine so how it got there is somewhat mysterious. Nevertheless i acquiesce to the experts. Thanks.

?

Hello Liam,
    the easiest give-away with this cap is the "wasserdicht"-lining of the top panel - compare to originial waterproof linings, and you'll see on first glance that this is a post-war piece (apart from the piping, which - as other colleagues have already stated - consists of a silver Gespinstlitze for the piping of the top panel and two white rings of piping for the centerband, which has nothing got to do with original caps of this unit, and apart from the colour of the fabric etc. etc.), an early post war piece perhaps due to the sweatband and the Rosshaarverarbeitung without lining of the side-panels.

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Thank you all. I am learning some valuable lessons here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast