Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS - Wintermütze up for Review

Article about: Sorry for my last and wrong post. I need to rectify because the wintermütze could be a serbian (chetnik) first patern cap, not an ustcha (croatian) cap. Anyway, unfortunately it's not a SS c

?

Default SS - Wintermütze up for Review

Hello Everyone,
    Local auction house has this Wintermütze up for sale in January. I only have this picture from the catalog, which describes it so - SS - Wintermütze - felt and lambswool. I'm unsure if its original, they have SS- Helmet up for auction, which has been knocked back on this forum. It makes me wonder if this wintermütze is real. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images SS - Wintermütze up for Review 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS - Wintermütze up for Review
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS - Wintermütze up for Review

Hi Alec, this one does not inspire me with much confidence.

The pattern of cap is unusual and I am fairly certain that it is actually a Swedish winter cap.

Cheers, Ade.

Compare it to this Swedish cap shown by Rene:

Swedish Side Cap

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,
    Thanks for the posts and link. I know its not the best of pictures, but does the cloth skull badge on the front, say anything to you.
    Cheers

Hi Alec, a better pic would be needed to confirm, but at present it looks like a known fake pattern. The so called "droopy eye" style.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,
    Think you may have point, when you say unfamiliar patten of Wintermütze. Looked through a photo album I have SS. Gebirgs -Division "Nord" in Finland. One picture shows SS-Unterscharführer wearing similar Wintermütze, but the frontal flap finishes a lot higher up on the cap, other ranks are wearing normal Shirmütze.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS - Wintermütze up for Review  SS - Wintermütze up for Review 

Hi Alec, the cap you show in the period photo is based on the Soviet issue "Ushanka". Indeed, it could even be a Soviet cap as these were popular peice of captured headgear. So much so, that orders had to be given to stop the troops wearing these when going home on leave.

The overall cut is very different. The cap which started this thread is shaped like a side cap, where as the Ushanka type are round in shape, like a visor cap.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,
    Today was the first day of public viewing at the auction house. I had the "SS Wintermütze" out of the glass class, it seems well made enough and clean, no grease marks on the inside or for that matter, no markings at all - makers or SS. I suppose if it was genuine SS piece there would be some sort of markings inside. What do you think.
    Regards

?

I have owned a few. On the inside front edge is an opening that lets you pull down a little visor. It tucks back up inside. There are ear flap pockets on the inside that have little tie together flaps for ear protection. These flaps are well marked. I own one now, with badges.

Hi Alec, many original period peices of headgear, especially field caps, were often only marked with a size stamp.

Absence of markers marks does not always make something bad. I think collectors have got too fond of seeing lots of markings.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast