Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

Article about: Hey guys i've recently met a WWII collector and amongst the items he's selling i found this Afrika Korps Tropenhelm (i think, im not an expert) im feeling like buying it. Inspite of it, im a

?

Thanks for the clarification. I've never collected these, so my knowledge is limited. I was always under the impression these were called pith helmets and the tan ,canvas ones , I thought were troppenhelms. I guess we learn new stuff all the time! This is why I love this forum,
    Thanks,
    Dean.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?
    P
    Many

I'd still find it irresistible to Not try to reach in and push out the dent with my hand...
    You see so Many of these sun helmets with these dents-no doubt from most of them being unissued and being stacked and stored for years.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Dean View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I've never collected these, so my knowledge is limited. I was always under the impression these were called pith helmets and the tan ,canvas ones , I thought were troppenhelms. I guess we learn new stuff all the time! This is why I love this forum,
    Thanks,
    Dean.
    Not a problem Dean and perhaps it might be best if we started calling any helmet of this type a sun helmet as that would encompass all the variations that are seen but would make it obvious to all as to what was being discussed. The German 1st pattern sun helmets were made of cork as were the Italian versions, though in the earlier period the Germans also used pith, whilst the Italians also used wicker throughout and without taking them apart it can be difficult to see what they are made from.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I'd still find it irresistible to Not try to reach in and push out the dent with my hand...
    You see so Many of these sun helmets with these dents-no doubt from most of them being unissued and being stacked and stored for years.
    My 2nd pattern tropenhelm/sun helmet also has a crushed dome and I tried pushing it back into shape and I also tried steaming it but to no avail as it kept returning to its damaged shape and so it is as it was and I suppose that is part of its history.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?  
    Regards,

Jerry

One of the very few pictures that is probably from Africa showing a 2nd pattern in use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice 2nd pattern! Shame about the crushed dome which would be a deal breaker for me. $200 is probably fair enough for this one if you really MUST have it for some reason but for my tastes you can sometimes find an undamaged example for around $300 which would be a better buy IMO. Some guys seem to be asking $400-450 these days for damaged 2nd patterns which I note don't seem to sell too quickly so it would seem that market forces dictate $300-350 to be ballpark for nice 2nd patterns.

Here is my 2nd pattern which is also non-maker marked and non 'made in germany' marked.

Tropenhelm, real or reproduction? Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

Manufacture date of February '42

Size 58

Unknown stamp, 'F.ST.L'? I have no idea what this signifies.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Nice 2nd pattern! Shame about the crushed dome which would be a deal breaker for me. $200 is probably fair enough for this one if you really MUST have it for some reason but for my tastes you can sometimes find an undamaged example for around $300 which would be a better buy IMO. Some guys seem to be asking $400-450 these days for damaged 2nd patterns which I note don't seem to sell too quickly so it would seem that market forces dictate $300-350 to be ballpark for nice 2nd patterns.

Here is my 2nd pattern which is also non-maker marked and non 'made in germany' marked.

Tropenhelm, real or reproduction? Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

Manufacture date of February '42

Size 58

Unknown stamp, 'F.STL'? I have no idea what this signifies.

Very good example. The F. ST. L. is the makers mark but is one that it is not known who they were, yet.
    Regards,

Jerry

i have learned a lot from this thread also thanks guys. the 2nd pat sun helmet that startded this thread i would think then it would be a good bye at the right price.

?

I would like to see a very clear close up of the Adler shield, the tricolour has the correct pebble like markings, but the other seems to have indentations, but the photo is a bit blurry,which I find odd because all the other photos are Crystal clear

- - Updated - -

I would like to see a very clear close up of the Adler shield, the tricolour has the correct pebble like markings, but the other seems to have indentations, but the photo is a bit blurry,which I find odd because all the other photos are Crystal clear

Well spotted Dave, the 2nd photo of the adler shield is clearer and does appear to show indentations rather than pebbling. Odd that this would be the case on what appears to be an otherwise authentic helmet unless the shield was lost at some point and replaced with a fake.

I think originally the shields were added during manufacture as I can't see how access can be gained to bend the pins of the shields over once the red liner is installed so I would be curious to see how this 'suspect' shield has been installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast