Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tropical Luftwaffe Cap

Article about: I agree with the statements above, none of us knows it all or ever will. I liked this cap when it was first posted on WAF, but I am not very experienced on these, though I could see some pos

Default Re: Tropical Luftwaffe Cap

it's the girlfriends table cloth
    Arffff Ben show me your Blondy girls !!! I am so nervous now...lol

about the cap, yes return the cap, too cold in london...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropical Luftwaffe Cap
    P
    Many

Quote by BenVK View Post
    It's too much of a gamble.

I have said elsewhere that I thought the eagle was a problem. Bloody difficult call to make on this one, so probably for the best to have sent it back.

Jerry

If there is any doubt it is always best to send an item back, otherwise it will always bug you.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    If there is any doubt it is always best to send an item back, otherwise it will always bug you.

Cheers, Ade.
    That's true!I told you about my doubts in my PM to you but you sure know your sh... well enough to come to the conclusion that no matter how good this cap may or may not be...buy it and its red flags would haunt you forever sticking out like a forest of sore thumbs!
    As a side note...have you noticed how polite and friendly the discussion about it has been so far?I think that our lot of "loosers","retrobates","loose cannons" and "ignoramuses" isn't that bad after all!
    Cheers
    Manu

?

I've never seen a real one before, way out of my experience. That being said my gut feeling is that it's bad. I hate it when you ask the rare question Ben and I can't help.

?

Hi Ben,
    You know my thoughts on this one in general, but I think I'll post openly here. I like the cap. I cannot tell you whether the eagle is an original or not - and if the LW 'experts' cannot either then we are all doomed. Period.
    Re-applied? Then the lining behind the bill will have been opened - any signs of this? Next - The grommets - I like them. I've handled and closely examined an original LW m41, and the grommets are VERY similar. To me, this set can stand alone on their own merits. (Replacing grommets successfully is the stuff of nightmares for a faker and I believe that it is 'commercially' not worth their while or value.)
    The stamp. This was labelled on WAF as fake. Why? The fonts match Hoffman's known 'Berolina' version (two thickness fonts, three fonts total). Factories will have had multiple stamps....
    The lining material need not be red - KM tropical caps had their own lining colour - who's to say that some manufacturing runs of LW m41's MUST be red? Especially if Hoffman is already producing sidecaps with a tan fine twill, why not usilize that in the production of the billed cap at some point?
    So, because this cap has not been seen before by only a few who commented on WAF (and in condescending fashion in some cases), then who can definitively state beyond doubt that this cap is fake?
    I cannot, simply as this is not my area of knowledge as gained so far - but this is always changing and growing. It would seem that many forget that they have not seen it all.
    Just my opinion.
    Mark

?

Thanks Mark. Your observations match my own.

However, and probably a good lesson for the new forum, no matter how much you think you personaly know, there will always be a case where you're not totaly sure and no one else is either.

No shame in that.

?

I agree, Ben. No shame at all. The only problem is catagorically labelling 'unknown' items as 'fake' because we do not have enough experience to tell the difference...
    Best Regards,
    Mark

Quote by NZMark View Post
    I agree, Ben. No shame at all. The only problem is catagorically labelling 'unknown' items as 'fake' because we do not have enough experience to tell the difference...
    Best Regards,
    Mark
    Best quote i have heard in a while...how many caps have the most experienced collectors handled ? Less than a fraction of 1% of those made in the War, do not forsake an item just cause you have never seen one before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast