Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tropical sidecap for opinions

Article about: Hi, I'm in discussions with a seller for this AK (or maybe just tropical) sidecap which appears to be in mint condirtion and i'm tempted to snap it up. Firstly, is it the real deal and secon

Default Re: Tropical sidecap for opinions

Original !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropical sidecap for opinions
    P
    Many

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Ah what the hell...I've had a beer or 4 and now a bourbon as well so have pulled the trigger on one of these caps, I figure when it lands i'll have to include it to my 'dangers of alcohol and militaria purchases' thread now!
    Gotta watch that itchy trigger finger Glenn - poverty is just a mouse click away

A nice sidey though!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

And to think I was going to stop my purchases for the month with the cloth DKiG I bought last week...

if the price was a bit lower i would ask you to buy one for myself too as i seem to be attracted in AK too!!!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    if the price was a bit lower i would ask you to buy one for myself too
    Would you now? Not scared of rejection at all are you?

I don't wish to disagree with the sellers "story" but I think he might have got things a bit mixed up as I am sure these are part of the "beehive" hoard and were found being used to line a beehive in Austria/Italy border area in the 70's and not in California.

"Selling this absolutely amazing find. 10 original stone mint DAK sidecaps still packed in a bundle with the original rope. The caps are all by Clemens Wagner and dated '42, properly marked on the inside. They were found in California with many more and were used as wall isolation in a house!!! The top and bottom bundles were all destroyed, the ones on the middle remained untouched, this is one of them."

nice caps whatever the truth of the matter and they certainly sold very quickly so maybe I am out of touch on what these go for these days.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Either story sounds far fetched to me. Surely wall insulation would have deteriorated over time either with pest and rodent attack and as for the beehive story...30 years in a beehive and then simply 'found' in perfect condition??

It was the story more than anything else that had me hesitating, too unbelievable IMO. The days of such hoard finds must surely be over 70+ years after the fact. Being of a suspicious nature I am more inclined to believe that any 'hoard' find these days is more likely to be a good way for a faker to dump a number of fake items onto the market in one hit rather than the usual 'drip-feed to avoid suspicion' tactic that is usually their modus operendi.

Glenn, the beehive story is a well known incident and caps from it have been circulating since the 70's. 1000's were found, many in bundles, others that had rotted or been mothed and only the insignia could be saved and also others that had been cut up to stuff into gaps. Try a search on here or the WAF or other forums. My Brandt cap is another from the beehive hoard.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2