Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A very very rough Heer Feldmütze alter art

Article about: Man, that thing is a goner. To call it 'salty' would be an insult against salty items.

?

Default Re: A very very rough Heer Feldmütze alter art

Man, that thing is a goner.

To call it 'salty' would be an insult against salty items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A very very rough Heer Feldmütze alter art
    P
    Many

I think i would add some pepper then eat it!(if that dog has'nt already beat me to it)

?

Ha! Still not much liked, thanks for the input gents.

?

You did a great job, looks much better now. Will the rest of the glue come off? what did you use to get it off?

Sorry, Eddie-not to rain on your parade or belittle your not inconsiderable efforts here, but in my opinion, this cap is simply too far gone and worthless as a collectors item from any viewpoint. There's basically nothing that you or even a professional could do at this point to help it from it's present miserable state. Sad but true...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    Eddie, most of the damage on my side cap is caused by burning with only a small amount of moth damage. It appears to have been showered with hot metal, though when this occurred is not known, though I like to think it happened as the result of combat to this ex pioneers cap during the "heat" of battle.
    Wow, Jerry, that's way cooler than mothbites, that's great! Is there any thread on the inside of the front of the cap to show what the old waffenfarbe soutache might have been? My Schiffchen has a very tiny bit of pink thread where the waffenfarbe used to be, which I think was used to sew a red, Arty soutache on. I like thinking about the brave Engineer who wore your cap and hopefully got some well deserved rest after getting showered with hot metal!

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    You did a great job, looks much better now. Will the rest of the glue come off? what did you use to get it off?
    Thanks Ben, I really appreciate that. I hope so, slowly maybe, some it might not come off, but I'll just take my time and do my best to get the rest off. I mostly used this stuff called "goof off", I tried white vinegar but it wasn't as useful, this was some nasty glue to be honest. I also found vaseline of all things to be pretty helpful too. The hardest thing was being careful not to remove the capband fabric along with the glue, I was mostly successful in that regard. I never quite understood the phrase to "hate something like sin", until I started trying to get that glue off! I read through a bunch of threads on WAF about getting glue off and those were the suggestions. Kurt on WAF was also very nice when I'm Pm'd him for advice and he sold me a nice bevo wreath for a very fair price as well.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Sorry, Eddie-not to rain on your parade or belittle your not inconsiderable efforts here, but in my opinion, this cap is simply too far gone and worthless as a collectors item from any viewpoint. There's basically nothing that you or even a professional could do at this point to help it from it's present miserable state. Sad but true...
    Oh no worries William, and thank you for recognizing the work that went into attempting to put lipstick on this little pig It's just for my collection and I know it's not worth anything, some items I buy knowing what they might be worth down the road and somethings I just can't resist. I had a gorgeous doeskin wool Braunschweig before this and it simply left me cold. I knew it was a great piece, but I just couldn't get into it! I know that what I like and what other collectors like diverges sometimes, so I have my umbrella up about pieces like this, so no worries about my parade. I could never get into a stone mint or even a mint piece, it just wouldn't make me happy. I might end up upgrading this cap after awhile, and yeah, I might take a bath on it, but that happens sometimes in this hobby even with items in great condition. C'est la vie. I'm not worried about it, and I had a lot of fun trying to fix it as much as I could, and I learned a lot, so it was worth the price of admission for me.

Quote by Eddie View Post
    Wow, Jerry, that's way cooler than mothbites, that's great! Is there any thread on the inside of the front of the cap to show what the old waffenfarbe soutache might have been? My Schiffchen has a very tiny bit of pink thread where the waffenfarbe used to be, which I think was used to sew a red, Arty soutache on. I like thinking about the brave Engineer who wore your cap and hopefully got some well deserved rest after getting showered with hot metal!
    Hi Eddie,

There is quite a bit of the black thread from the soutache left behind.

I have about 6 cockades and have thought about replacing it, but will probably leave it as I found it in a local flea market.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A very very rough Heer Feldmütze alter art  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hey Eddie the cap looks a lot better than when you started good job on trying to bring some life back in to it
    I as well have a soft spot for the salty and very probably would have done the same myself.
    This kind of item if displayed properly in a shadow box with some other relics would look awsome IMO and if the price was right and you are getting some satisfaction and enjoyment from this project that to me would be well worth the price of what you paid for it .

Regards Mark K

PS. Eddie I rather like it and would display it reminds me of that good old dog you just cant bare to put down .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A very very rough Heer Feldmütze alter art  
    Last edited by Mark K; 10-29-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Update

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast