Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Veterinary Visor cap?

Article about: Greetings all! I apologize for the lacking of multiple quality photos but I wanted to inquire with you experts none the less. I am definitely on the fence about this one and would love some

Default Veterinary Visor cap?

Greetings all! I apologize for the lacking of multiple quality photos but I wanted to inquire with you experts none the less. I am definitely on the fence about this one and would love some thoughts.

As always, thank you!
    Veterinary Visor cap?Veterinary Visor cap?Veterinary Visor cap?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Veterinary Visor cap?
    P
    Many

Hi,

I think your right to sit on the fence because at first glance it looks ok but ……………………… I think it is not a period piece.

It is very similar to one of the first caps I bought and got burnt on. The piping is more pink than carmine on my monitor so I would say it leans towards panzer rather than vet in colour. What concerns me most is the:

heavy duty/tunic type crown material.
    peak has shine to it that males it look more plastic than fibre...need an in hand inspection to confirm this
    liner is the waterproof type seen in post war caps and was not used much in wartime army caps plus the celluloid is missing because it may well have been plastic ?
    the sweatband looks ill fitted to me and maybe plastic type rather than leather or oilskin
    inside the cap are the main tells to me.

I may off course be totally wrong ! Wait for others to chip in with an opinion.

Hope that helps...….. cheers Tony

Pictures of the lining in a post war cap for comparison. Plus the pink vrs carmine piping shot.

Veterinary Visor cap?Veterinary Visor cap?Veterinary Visor cap?

?

Hello Thebryguy & Tony,

This is a tough one. I partly share your concerns. The sweatband is an issue - without a picture of its back there is no way of telling. The peak/visor looks good to me - when ones takes a close look it has the typical cross-hatch pattern of the Vulkanfiber examples.

Waterproof linings are most unusual, but they existed in army caps (cp. here: Infantry Officer's Visor cap)

As to the fabric compare here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...sors-1771a.jpg

Piping seems to be more panzer-pink to me, too which today is a bad sign as it is a very sought after colour.

As Tony says, you'd have to have it in your hands to check it for authenticity.

Ditto the above. I agree, not carmine, and if pink, that is one funky shade (that I associate more with repros).
    As Erwesa said, waterproof linings are more often associate with EM/NCO visors, but they are sometimes seen on legit Officer visors.
    If buying the cap, you have to consider resale, and it would be tough to recoup your $ once it comes time to sell.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thanks all for the comments and reconfirming my suspicion! Alot of variables without getting better photos! Much appreciated to a young novice collector like me.

Quote by Thebryguy View Post
    Thanks all for the comments and reconfirming my suspicion! Alot of variables without getting better photos! Much appreciated to a young novice collector like me.
    we have all been there ! and every day is a learning day with this collecting hobby !