Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Visor Caps

Article about: Hello everyone I'm new here and am very interested and indeed curious about the construction materials used in WW2 German military peaked caps (Schirmmütze). My interest goes back to childho

Interesting read this thread and I have to agree that the IWM does not monopolise knowledge on the subject... as pointed out by our learned colleague FB.

hey ho.

cheers

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visor Caps
    P
    Many

The thread will remain open, as it is a good demonstration on the over-reliance upon a book and a museum.

Every book that I have seen on headgear has fakes in it (some more than others).

Every museum has (or has had) fakes in their collections.

As has been said time and time again, one cannot rely solely on books, museums, or "gun show lore" when becoming a serious student of the hobby.

You have to look at as many originals as you can; as many fakes as you can; study primary references; look at photos of the hats in wear; and review the pinned threads in the forums.

IMO, the recently-departed Redcoat brought ulterior motives with his seemingly innocuous post, and that is/was to establish a justification for fakes which have plastic visors.

They just simply did not exist, based upon the collective 500+ year experience of the advanced collectors in the hobby, and are not referred to in the primary source material.

Museum curators do not have the time, expense, or inclination to study such a specific sub-set of uniformology like we do (ie, TR visor caps), and that is why they can be wrong, such as the fine gentlemen at the IWM.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

In any event, here is another example of a fake at the IWM:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor Caps  

CBH
    ?

Sorry if my tone was less then polite , my apologies . But I smelled a Troll and wanted to draw him out sooner rather then later . I did say welcome to the Forum ! Also I wanted to point out that there is a member here name "Redcap" who has posted some great images and shouldn't be confused with this Noob .

Visor CapsVisor Caps
    Quote by spandau View Post
    Interesting read this thread and I have to agree that the IWM does not monopolise knowledge on the subject... as pointed out by our learned colleague FB.

hey ho.

cheers

Tony

Here is a real Oberfuehrermuetze (left), in fact.

My best to colleague Tony for all his fine research and finer citizenship.

This is represented as the authentic visor of Sepp Dietrich at the West Point Museum:

I misspoke about the Goering visor--it is actually at the RAF Museum in Hendon.
    Here are some more pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visor Caps   Visor Caps  

Visor Caps   Visor Caps  

This Franky is claimed to be the visor of Erwin Rommel (I do not recall which museum it is in):

?

The now banned member twice made mention of the existence of concentration camps on the Channel Islands, further, he did so in a manner that suggested this forum would not have know about such a fact. Well, if Mr. Redcoat had actually bothered to check beforehand, he'd have noticed that this forum made mention of these camps years before he showed up...

SS-Lager Sylt Concentration Camp Channel Islands

Mauser Red 9 from Alderney, Channel Islands.

Speaking of plastic and thinking / believing you have the real deal..... here are two howlers that had pride of place on my shelf in the early days of my collecting................ didn't have computers or forums in the good old days to help us out !

The luftwaffe fire police visor peak was I believe the exact type of material redcoat was referring too....classic post war visor.

cheers

Tony

Visor CapsVisor CapsVisor CapsVisor Caps

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast